Heritage Owners Club

Who uses open tunings on their H-535's ?

Redsand

Hey Guys,

I had my H-535 set up a few months back with 11's and at the time set up for playing in a standard 440hz tuning. Well, I've been playing more and more slide on my acoustic and have been feeling the urge to plug in. Should I worry about the added relief of tuning down to and staying in, say (open G)?

I'm thinking I should check with a few guys that play in open tunings before I start clowning around. I'm a bit over-protective of my Heritage.....I think you all can probably identify

Hi,

Since no-one else has replied, I will ;) I have a Tele with a maple neck that I often tune into DADGAD for my Keef moments and it handles that with no problems.

I don't put my 535 into anything but standard tuning but I understand what you're thinking. Every time I change strings I can almost see the neck move. Don't you have to raise the action a bit for slide too?

Hey Guys,

I had my H-535 set up a few months back with 11's and at the time set up for playing in a standard 440hz tuning. Well, I've been playing more and more slide on my acoustic and have been feeling the urge to plug in. Should I worry about the added relief of tuning down to and staying in, say (open G)?

I'm thinking I should check with a few guys that play in open tunings before I start clowning around. I'm a bit over-protective of my Heritage.....I think you all can probably identify

Hi there, I really don't think you need to worry, as the other respondent has said. You seem to be using fairly light-gauge strings and the Heritage neck should have no problem at all. And, yes, you are wise to protect your guitar, but happily, these things are made to be played and can withstand normal situations like open tunings and such. Best. P.S. Nice color on that axe!

I've played in open E tuning all my life. I have never had a problem with my guitars ever. I play my H550 in open E more than I play my other guitar (gretsch 6120) thats because of my love for the H550 sound and feel. I'm sure all in all you'll be alright playing your H535 in open tuning. It's all most like a ES335 but built much better. I've owned a ES335(93) in the past and it did great with open E tuning. I've heard different stories about more stress on the kneck and such but I've never had a problem. I'd go for it!

I keep my Heritage acoustic tuned to odd tunings 1/2 the time and I don't have problems. Since I have the action set for slide maybe I wouldn't notice the micrometers things could be off.

Archived