Heritage Owners Club

Strings For Anything.

JWALKER

I have read through the other post( Strings for a modern rock player) by 976 Dave, and I think I may need a different recommendation for strings. I am a new player with I would say small to medium sized hands.

I really love Jazz, Blues, New Age, Rock, Alternative, Etc.. So, Is there a string choice out there that sounds good with just about any type of music and that will last a while.

From really loving Jazz, I found through searching that flat wound strings seem to be the preferred choice for a long lasting string that stays in tune. Many players also said that they would even use flat wounds on all their electric guitars. Thomastik Infields seemed to be a consensus favorite, with the lighter gauges recommended for newer players. D'Addario Chrome flat wounds also got a lot of recommendations.

Since I live in a small town with only two music stores, only one local store had flat wounds, but luckly, they had D' Addario Chrome 11 gauges, so I bought three packs, and they gave me a free set of the same. Through the search, I had also discovered the online JustStrings, and I got the Thomastik Infield 11 gauges for when my 555 arrives.

Meanwhile, I have my Tele stringed with the flat wound 11 gauge D'Adddario Chrome strings, and they sound fabulous. However, they are killing my hands, and are murder for trying to bend notes. So, I need some help. If the Thomastik 11 gauges I have on tap, for the 555 are as hard on the hands as the Chromes, my hands are in big trouble. There has to be a string out there that will sound as good, but not shred your fingers in the process.

It's all a personal preference. I don't worry about flat wounds, and generally stick with 10-46 sets. I've used D'Addario XLs, DR Pure Blues, Ernie Ball Slinkys, GHS Boomers. It depends somewhat on the guitar and pickups.

If you feel like the 11s are shredding your fingers, you probably need to drop down to 10s or even 9s until you get your finger hardened and strengthened. Work your way up in gauge as you go.

I've used Thomastik Swing flatwounds and Bebops on my archtops

and Elixirs on strats and semi's. I just recently decided I want the same feel on everything. Even though

flats might yield a better jazz tone I put Elixirs on everything. I'm very pleased, in fact last night

I played a jazz trio gig with my 575 using Elixir 10-46 strings. I do sub an 11 and 14 on the top

but I got lots of comments on my tone and my hands were still fresh after a 3 hour gig.

That's a win, win for me.

One issue....if you use a wood bridge a plain G might be an intonation challenge.

I have a TOM on the 575 so no problem.

So to summarize...I buy Elixir 10-46 NanoWeb strings along with some single 11's and 14's

and I'm good on all my guitars

Archived