Heritage Owners Club

WOW, all in, just completely over the top impressed!

Kuz

I got my new Axe-Fx standard while we were away at PSP3.

I have a couple of days off and after making good with the wife and some honey-dos, I spent a couple hours with the AF this morning.

OH, MY, GOODNESS!!!!! It does everything perfect!!! Cleans, bluesy breakup, fusion, classic rock, hard rock......

DON'T let anyone tell you to buy a lesser modeler... this is so far past Line 6, 11 Rack, and the others it is not a contest. Every preset sounded great. Every amp is usable. This is a profession grade tool and for $1500 it is an F****** STEAL!!!!

I am running it through my BOSS 1600 mixer/recorder and then either through the headphones or my modest $500 Yamaha studio monitors.

I will try to record some clips in the next couple weeks but.... BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

The more good reviews I hear about this thing the closer I get to buying one (actually I've yet to read a bad review). I just wish it had a more amp like interface. I can't stand scrolling through menus to get to the parameter you want to tweak.

GAM, I agree that if it was outfitted with real knobs like an amp, it would be much better. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't in the works soon. But that would mean more money, and the AF Standard is more than enough bells & whistles for me.

Barry, I have no intention of running it live currently, just as a recording tool. I can honestly say I will never have to mic another amp again for recording.

Dick, Yes it is that good.

The reason I posted this topic was not to brag about my new toy, but to encourage others to stop wasting their good money on lesser units. Save up and buy the real thing, AXE-FX. AND it really is a good value if you consider that you get 70 amps (and even if you bought just one of these "real" amps they would cost more than $1500).

GAM, I agree that if it was outfitted with real knobs like an amp, it would be much better. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't in the works soon. But that would mean more money, and the AF Standard is more than enough bells & whistles for me.

Barry, I have no intention of running it live currently, just as a recording tool. I can honestly say I will never have to mic another amp again for recording.

Dick, Yes it is that good.

The reason I posted this topic was not to brag about my new toy, but to encourage others to stop wasting their good money on lesser units. Save up and buy the real thing, AXE-FX. AND it really is a good value if you consider that you get 70 amps (and even if you bought just one of these "real" amps they would cost more than $1500).

For me, I don't need 70 amps. 63 amps if plenty in my book. I'd kinda like to hear it live, too.

Here's the conundrum I find myself in to some degree.

Although jazz is my focus and the Vox does this ALL DAY....

Getting together with my old metal buddies is a constant and there may even be an opportunity coming up where I would be recording and performing live with them.

That being said, the Vox... she aint gonna cut it for that.

Although not my only option, I may have to invest in a dedicated metal amp. For a good one, you are easily looking at the cost of an AxeFX. EASILY.

If that is the case, I am wondering if I should go the AxeFx route and forsake the Vox... and its weight. haha.

If it does a dead nuts Vox impersonation.... then sweet.

Althought, I think it would be just all kinds of more cost effective to just get a preamp and run into the effects return of my amp and using only the power section of the amp for those metal moments. :boxing:

For that, a lot of folks are saying get a TubeScreamer on the front end. Others are saying get a H&K Tubeman and use it as a pre.

Needless to say, I am gonna try the less expensive route first. :D

Kuz, that sounds like a neat tool. I have started researching it a bit, and the YouTube clips are amazing. Did a quick read of the on line manual. I'm wondering if you have tried it in the FX loop of any of your amps yet? I could see it replacing my pedal board easily with the added use of duping a lot of amp/cab combinations. In the manual, it looks like they are saying to turn off the amp and cab portion of the AXE-FX if you are running it through the fx loop of a tube amp, but maybe I'm misunderstanding that.

Kuz, that sounds like a neat tool. I have started researching it a bit, and the YouTube clips are amazing. Did a quick read of the on line manual. I'm wondering if you have tried it in the FX loop of any of your amps yet? I could see it replacing my pedal board easily with the added use of duping a lot of amp/cab combinations. In the manual, it looks like they are saying to turn off the amp and cab portion of the AXE-FX if you are running it through the fx loop of a tube amp, but maybe I'm misunderstanding that.

No, again like I said this is ONLY A RECORDING TOOL for me. I know that many people use it live, and if I ever did it would go straight through the PA (because of exactly what you are talking about.. why have all this great amp/cab modeling and then turn it off).

I just wanted this for RECORDING ONLY. But others use solid state amps to send the AF through.

I hope that makes sense and is more helpful.

That confirms what I was thinking. It looks like a guy could possibly use a preamp into the FX and then into a cab, but I have never owned or used a preamp and would have no idea where to start with that idea. I like your PA idea, then you could hear the balance through the monitors.

I've had my Axe-Fx Ultra for three weeks now and consider it to be the single best piece of guitar gear I've ever owned. After working with it for three weeks I feel I've only scratched the surface because it is sooo very deep. The level of control you have with this unit is absolutely stunning and unparalleled by any other equipment being made today. It has literally antiquated a room-full of amps, cabs, & efx overnight. I haven't recorded with it yet (been having to much fun playing) but I have tried it with several different setups and they all sound great. Through the PA will just blow you away. This unit is going to change the stage setups for a lot of groups in the near future as well as recording studios. Imagine (as a guitarist) being able to walk into either a studio or a live situation with no more then a couple guitars and an Axe-Fx and instantly have more then 70 amps, 90 efx, and a whole slew of cabs at your disposal all with a push of a few buttons. I imagine I'll still have the occasional bout of GAS every now and then for a new guitar, but as for amps, cabs, & efx I'm all set.

LOL, I suspect we have similar thinking. Post a clip when you find a couple of sounds you like.

That's the problem, I like all of them (LOL)!

It will have to be next week, I slammed straight through the weekend coming off vacation, boo hoo! :D

Archived