Heritage Owners Club

I'm looking for a H535; newer vs older?

Bruhan

HI everyone. I'm shopping for a nice used H535. I like a nice natural finish and a medium to chunkier neck profile. I don't like a more skinny 60's profile. I played a mid 1990's 535 with a medium neck profile that I liked.

Can anyone give me any advice or recomendation regarding newer one's made in 2000's vs older one's from the 1980's? Thanks, Dan

There isn't a quality difference in the different era 535's ... but there will be some hardware/ pickup differences that may affect your choice.

Also the necks vary.. with the tendency to thicker on newer and thinner on older ones. But no absolute rules there either.

I tend to like older guitars for some reason... but with Heritage , it's just finding the one that fits you and your budget.

Fred, have you purchased a 535 yet? You are too stinkin' good of a player to NOT own one! You owe it to yourself, the rest of us, and the crew at Heritage. Don't make me ask again, haha.

P.S. Epi Dots don't count.....

Heritage necks don't seem to be era specific, you will find thick to thin to everything in between from all eras. It generally depends on who was ordering the guitar and what they requested (dealer specific maybe?). I had an 80's 535 I sold and a 2009 535 I love and still have, and both had similar, medium, necks.

Fred, have you purchased a 535 yet? You are too stinkin' good of a player to NOT own one! You owe it to yourself, the rest of us, and the crew at Heritage. Don't make me ask again, haha.

P.S. Epi Dots don't count.....

I know.. I know.. I would love a Heritage semi hollow. There are too many a lot of guitars around my house right now.. but one day I'll find the right 535/555 at the right time.

I know.. I know.. I would love a Heritage semi hollow. There are too many a lot of guitars around my house right now.. but one day I'll find the right 535/555 at the right time.

You KNOW I'm just Razzin' you... Sort of... Seriously, life is too short not to get what you TRULY deserve (I don't DESERVE mine, but I'm keeping it anyway! haha). Ask Rob if he wishes he'd have pulled the trigger before he did! They are truly fantastic guitars. Your's will find you one day, I'm sure.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/girls044.jpg[/img]"]http://girls044.jpg

Ask Rob if he wishes he'd have pulled the trigger before he did!

http://girls044.jpg

Don't have to, Brian! I'm right here. My 535 is, to my mind, the alpha and omega of electric guitars. Tom, the luthier I'm apprenticing with, played it for the first time last week. He's a Berklee alum, and has been repairing guitars for twenty-five years. He's owned six 335's. He said, categorically, my 535 was the best of that type of guitar he's ever picked up....

Don't have to, Brian! I'm right here. My 535 is, to my mind, the alpha and omega of electric guitars. Tom, the luthier I'm apprenticing with, played it for the first time last week. He's a Berklee alum, and has been repairing guitars for twenty-five years. He's owned six 335's. He said, categorically, my 535 was the best of that type of guitar he's ever picked up....

There is a oneness , a symmetry of harmonious balance that happens when you hold that guitar, Rob. I witnessed it at PSP IV.....

And the approval of your lutherie mentor confirms it well.

Thanks, everyone. The 535 I played was mid 90's and had a very comfortable medium neck. Very nice. Unfortunately the neck to body joint was loose and I passed. Is there a Golden Era for Heritage? One decade more desirable than another? I am just looking for a nice playing guitar, I'm not a vintage collector. Cheers, Dan

Thanks, everyone. The 535 I played was mid 90's and had a very comfortable medium neck. Very nice. Unfortunately the neck to body joint was loose and I passed. Is there a Golden Era for Heritage? One decade more desirable than another? I am just looking for a nice playing guitar, I'm not a vintage collector. Cheers, Dan

There is no more desirable era for a Heritage... other than pickups and hardware, and perphaps neck thickness.

I would say Heritage is in it's "Golden Era". It has narrowed it's product line down to what it does best, and has improved it's skills and methods over the years to the point where their current products could be considered their best. - Just my opinion, YMMV.

when you say natural, do you mean just a clear coat, or a translucent finish?

Anyway, as noted, heritage necks are hand-made, so each one is unique. If you are concerned about neck profile, you most likely should try before you buy. My 535 is closer to a slim taper neck than any of my other heritage guitars. it's a 1998 535, in the signature heritage color, Almond Sunburst. When I think of Heritage guitars, I think of the H535 in this picture:

group5.jpg

I would say Heritage is in it's "Golden Era". It has narrowed it's product line down to what it does best, and has improved it's skills and methods over the years to the point where their current products could be considered their best. - Just my opinion, YMMV.

+1 I agree with everything stated here.

Archived