Heritage Owners Club

Do you have what it takes?

Administrator

Have you been waiting for just the right moment to put your shred metal chops on display? Has a lack of motivation kept you from wowing your fellow HOC members with your incredible rockabilly licks? Are you ready to put your smokey jazz comping, chromatic harmonizing and alternate voicing on display and win untold numbers of fans due to your impeccable timing and tasteful ornamentation?

Then this is the contest for you!

On October 1, 2009, the first ever HOC "Talent on Parade" will launch with the posting of an mp3 backing track. The rules are simple:

• You must use the provided backing track.
  • You can use the recording software of your choice to add your playing to said backing track.
  • You must post the finished track no later than October 15, 2009.
  • All entries will be voted on by the membership.
  • Not only will you win the acclaim, accolades and adoration of your peers, the top three vote-getters will also win PRIZES

In keeping with the HOC ethos of less (work) is more (easier), the first ever HOC "Talent on Parade" theme will be:

Key: E

Progression: 12-bar (I-IV-V)

Genre: Blues

Structure: E A7 E7 E7 | E7 E7 A7 A7 | B7 A7 E7 E7

Duration: Approximately three minutes

If that is Greek to you, who cares?! Wing it!

You only have four days to suss out the vagaries of your chosen recording software! Make sure you have fresh strings, sharp picks and pliable cables! Do not hesitate, practice now!

Watch this space!

About time!! Excellent. So, will it be a fast blues? Slow bluz? Rockn'rolla or vhat? Or .... yeah, wait and I'll see, right? B)

Well, now, if all of the details are revealed in advance, what sort of tension do we have leading up to the event? You have to have something to look forward to! I will tell you that the bass and drum parts are worked out. The ending, of all things, is currently unsatisfactory and needs more work. Also, there is some thought be given to throwing a horn (or piano, or organ) in there, forcing the player to lay back and comp for a while instead of soloing the whole time.

I don't have any recording software, but even if I did I'd lose! Still, sounds like a blast. Maybe I'll have to get some recording s/w...

I have very limited direct experience with this title, but you can try Audacity, the free audio editor. Of course, then you will have to deal with how to get your guitar in to your computer.

Such as?

The undying love of your adoring fans here on the HOC isn't enough? OK...Heritage Guitar branded trinkets acquired from Lane Zastrow's recent sale. Not much, I'm sure, but it's not like this place is throwing off positive cash flow, you know. B) On the serious side, if this turns out well, I am going to see if we can secure some third-party donations/sponsorship for prizes.

By way of update...the backing track for HOC-ToP 1 is nearing completion. There are currently two candidates, both at about 90% "done." One is a "funky blues" pattern, while the other has a more traditional blues shuffle feel. They are both around the 100-110 BPM range, tulk1, and, as stated earlier, are very basic. Both candidates have drums, bass and some limited B3-ish organ comping. Nobody should be expecting much, at this point, from the backing track, but we have to start somewhere. If this draws any interest, expect the backing to become more involved, complex, polished, et cetera.

Only one more day for you to woodshed your chops and learn your software, folks!

Mr. Admin, sir. No too sure I like being singled out in your posts, as at times I find you to be extremely scary and intimidating. emoticon-monster-003.gif

However, I am looking forward to the backing tracks. :thumbsup: Will there be a new page for the uploads? Or will they be loaded here? Or are you going to port them over to a music web folder? Whats' the drill there, Mr. Admin, sir?

The backing track for HOC ToP 1 is up. I would like to extend my apologies, in advance, for any musical and technical deficiencies present in the track as offered. This, as I have mentioned, is going to be an iterative (read: learning) process. If it makes it easier to stomach such horrid dreck, pretend you have been stranded in the dive bar from The Blues Brothers and you have been called up to fill in for the guitarist who has taken ill (probably from the beer bottle that ricocheted off his forehead). To make matters worse, the entire rhythm section were hired that morning and is comprised of one out of work history major (organ), one lawyer with more money than talent (bass) and a perpetually unemployed, alcoholic drummer.

Take it away.......HOC ToP 1 backing track

To answer the earlier question, we will have to work something out for 'storage space' tomorrow. As it is, I am late for a very important date. Complaints, comments and suggestions welcomed and will be addressed as they arise.

I have my track almost done already. :o

Right now I'm working on the accompanying video. It's going to be interpretive dance, performed by me, in a ratty old costume I got when we went dumpster diving behind the theater where a second-rate troupe was doing Cats. I have lots of strobe lights and fog and stuff to really add to the ambiance. It's going to be spectacular, I think...sort of Helter Skelter meets Cirque du Soleil as channeled by Skunk Baxter doing covers of Jelly Roll Morton.

I'm going to blow you all away and win the prizes for myself. Prepare to be overwhelmed by the sheer....sheerness of it all (and not just the costume!).

I have my track almost done already. :o

Right now I'm working on the accompanying video. It's going to be interpretive dance, performed by me, in a ratty old costume I got when we went dumpster diving behind the theater where a second-rate troupe was doing Cats. I have lots of strobe lights and fog and stuff to really add to the ambiance. It's going to be spectacular, I think...sort of Helter Skelter meets Cirque du Soleil as channeled by Skunk Baxter doing covers of Jelly Roll Morton.

I'm going to blow you all away and win the prizes for myself. Prepare to be overwhelmed by the sheer....sheerness of it all (and not just the costume!).

HEYYYYY!! No fair - you didn't say we could dance!! I want my entry back!! OH, no I didn't send it in yet. Maybe I'll have my wife nail my wooden leg to the floor and spin me while I WAILLLL!!!!

HEYYYYY!! No fair - you didn't say we could dance!! I want my entry back!! OH, no I didn't send it in yet. Maybe I'll have my wife nail my wooden leg to the floor and spin me while I WAILLLL!!!!

John Lennon would be proud of you! :o

I'm putting the finishing touches on mine, it has a bad ugly spot!!! Got to clean that up and Im ready to go. Used both of my new Heritages on the song, but the recording doesn't have the same tone that I think I hear. Maybe my old ears are worn out!!! Or maybe it is just my cheap equipment and lack of talent!!!

I am hopeing to contribute, we'll see how fast I work out the equipment that I haven't used in a while. I'm having the H157< with Sheptone PAF's ,rewired right now . So I won't be able to show off those nice pick-ups. But , I do have another new Heritage guitar that maybe would fit the bill...... :glasses10:

That is unfortunate. There is still a week left, however, so you have time to work it out.

Four entries now received; the competition is heating up!

Me too. I just bought a new pc and some ware in the shift from the old system to the new my copy of the lame library was lost. I can download a new copy and have, but when I try to record audacity says I need to download the library? I just need to get the two to talk?

I've got a half baked, mistake laden track ready to send up. It took me most of a week to figure out how to get the tracks into my AW1600. (Where's that #%&$#&^**&(^(* driver CD???)

Anyway, I'm ready to be totally embarrassed, humiliated and laughed at!

Archived