Heritage Owners Club

Millennium Ultra vs Florentine

FlameTopper

Anybody here ever truly compare, side by side, the Heritage Millennium Ultra and the Gibby LP Florentine? Curious about tone, build, hardware comparisons.

different woods, different construction. not much in common, except they both have similar scale lengths and humbuckers...

I own both so you will get a little better answer from me!

I prefer the slimmer neck on the Millie. The Millie is the only one that is handmade.

- Florentine is the same shape as a LP, solid centerblock, it has more of a weight relieved design... original Pups are classic 57's. The dinding is front and back similar to a custom...

- Millie is more hybrid LP and 535, is truly semi hollow(not weight relieved) both will have a maple cap and mahogoney neck and body, Ultra's have HRW's, many millies have Seths (better pickups in my opinion).

I can sell my florentines for around $3500, millie are around 1250-1500 area... I know what the better deal is!!

Hope you enjoy

I own both so you will get a little better answer from me!

I prefer the slimmer neck on the Millie. The Millie is the only one that is handmade.

- Florentine is the same shape as a LP, solid centerblock, it has more of a weight relieved design... original Pups are classic 57's. The dinding is front and back similar to a custom...

- Millie is more hybrid LP and 535, is truly semi hollow(not weight relieved) both will have a maple cap and mahogoney neck and body, Ultra's have HRW's, many millies have Seths (better pickups in my opinion).

couple nits to pick - both my millies (LE and DC) came with mahogany necks and everything else was solid maple. i believe that's the default offering, unless the Kzoo folks'll do mahogany body options. the LE had Seths and the DC has HRWs. wish i still had the LE, but love my DC. with all that maple & the HRWs, my DC has a really bright sound.

i've never played a Florentine, but Gibson advertises it as a solidbody. they're weight-relieved? they also have rosewood 'boards, but my millies came w/ebony. i've heard good things about Burstbucker Pros, but have never played 'em cranked...

anyway,...significant differences...maybe i should add a black H155 to my list on the "free guitar" thread :o

here is a millie Route... some will have 1/2 inch figured maple caps top and back... the STD Ultra has a mahogany back.

Millyrouting.jpg

The florentine is solid wood for the 2 1/2 inch center strip from the bottom to the neck pocket the rest is routed hollow... and some come with no fHoles much like a H-155. And yes my Florentines all have Ebony boards( the necks are designed after the Custom) with the exception of a compound radius.

The florentine is solid wood for the 2 1/2 inch center strip from the bottom to the neck pocket the rest is routed hollow... and some come with no fHoles much like a H-155. And yes my Florentines all have Ebony boards( the necks are designed after the Custom) with the exception of a compound radius.

poking around i see a lot of variance in the Florentines. e.g., one in Mike Slubowski's collection doesn't seem to have the florentine cutaway. what pickups came with yours?

i mis-looked up the Heritage Ultras. they appear to have mahogany rims, too, in addition to the backs. (makes me wonder if they'd do a DC like that...uh-oh :unsure: )

My Millie, a Std Ultra, has a mahogany back and rim and a mahogany neck At the moment the pickups are HRWs but they will be changed to Seths in the near future.

gallery_328_8_193527.jpg

Photo of the body construction ....

Wow, that is beautiful.

poking around i see a lot of variance in the Florentines. e.g., one in Mike Slubowski's collection doesn't seem to have the florentine cutaway. what pickups came with yours?

Gibson Classic 57 pickups.

The florentine model without the FHoles is almost exactly the same as the new model Chambered customs, both are Custom Shop guitars.

• 1 month later...
Is solid wood for the 2 1/2 inch center strip from the bottom to the neck pocket the rest is routed hollow... and some come with no fHoles much like a H-155. And yes my Florentines all have Ebony boards( the necks are designed after the Custom) with the exception of a compound radius.

Hello Millennium, what are the rim thicknesses like on each? Top and back thicknesses similar?

Hello Millennium, what are the rim thicknesses like on each? Top and back thicknesses similar?

My 155 has a back that's flat - so it can't be as thick as the carved top and not as thick as the binding.

Also there should be a big difference with the bridge pickups mounted into solid wood top and back with the Florentine vs. carved maple on the millie and hollow underneath. The 155 is also a little larger sized body.

Archived