Heritage Owners Club

575 question ..is there a spring under the pickguard?

Hfan

I finally had a chance to get my 575 out of the case for some TLC, new strings, Virtuoso cleaner and polish and Fret Dr for the fret board, beautiful results. I posted a while back for advise on the floating bridge when removing all the strings the masking tape trick worked great to keep it stationary, the base anyway. I was somewhat surprised when the top half of the bridge fell off but it was pretty obvious how it went back on. Thanks again for the tips

Anyway, got her all cleaned up and new strings installed when I noticed a small spring on the floor, it's 5/8" long. I did remove the pickguard. I'm assuming the spring goes under the pickguard wrapping around the mounting screw near the neck, I can see the functionality. Could someone confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hey Pete: Don't-cha just hate it when that happens? I can't tell you how many carburetors I rebuilt . . . . "back in the day" . . . only to find that there was always one or two springs or screws left on the bench. I never knew where they came from . . . never bothered to try to find out. Just ran those old '55 and '57 Chevys until they wouldn't run any more. When they stopped running, it was never a carb issue. Go figure!!

I hope you're enjoying your 575.

Must be where it goes. Mine has a rubber thingy there but a spring would work

Thanks for the quick reply's guys, I bought her new 3 or 4 years back haven't had much time to play her, I'm smitten all over again. Same goes for my 535 which got a similar treatment yesterday.

Thanks again.

Hey Pete: Don't-cha just hate it when that happens? I can't tell you how many carburetors I rebuilt . . . . "back in the day" . . . only to find that there was always one or two springs or screws left on the bench. I never knew where they came from . . . never bothered to try to find out. Just ran those old '55 and '57 Chevys until they wouldn't run any more. When they stopped running, it was never a carb issue. Go figure!!

I hope you're enjoying your 575.

Sounds familiar, in my last life I was a Field Engineer ripping apart million dollar digital print presses (that's always the easy part) often with little or no training, left over parts would cause some head scratching for sure. Saved the extra bits and hoped the damn thing worked.

Glad I noticed the little bugger spring on the floor, usually you drop a small spring and it fly's off never to be seen again.

Archived