Heritage Owners Club

The inspiration for the H-170?

H

I didn't really consider this when I bought my 170 but I couldn't recall that body shape being made by Gibson.

I stumbled across an image on the web yesterday and thought WHOA!!!! Is the Gibson Spirit II the 'ancestor' of the 170?

I didn't really consider this when I bought my 170 but I couldn't recall that body shape being made by Gibson.

I stumbled across an image on the web yesterday and thought WHOA!!!! Is the Gibson Spirit II the 'ancestor' of the 170?

yes I think you are rite. the Gibson Spirit was the 1980's version of the slab body DC LP Special and Junior, available with one or two humbuckers. It was first an Epiphone model, but at the time it was the end of the Norlin era and they were struggling financially, so they then decided to market the Spirit as a Gibson guitar, the first Gibson Spirit's had the Gibson logo applied directly over the Epiphone logo.

:D

(sorry, I'm feeling lazy too ;) )

:this_thread_is_useless_without_etc

(sorry, I'm feeling lazy too :D )

Just had a further look around. It seems the Gibson model had an Explorer style headstock - can't find a decent resolution pic right now - but look at the Epiphone model! It IS the 170!!!

Gibson

post-901-1283960467_thumb.jpg

Epiphone

post-901-1283960483_thumb.jpg

oooh yuk! sorry I asked! never a good idea to have a symmetrical body shape with an asymmetrical headstock, IMO

Guest mgoetting
H170%20VWB.jpg Current H-170

They still haven't updated the specs for the 2nd edition.

Body Size :

Rim Thickness - 1 1/2”

Body Width - 12 1/2”

Body Length - 17 1/4”

Another candidate for precursor to the 170 is the Epiphone Genesis, designed in US, supposedly by Gibson director of marketing Jim Walker, and made in either Japan, or Taiwan, depending on who you read, in 79-81 (You see these sometimes with the claim that they were US made, but they were not.) These were all mahogany bodied, carved top, quality guitars, and had the three knob/toggle layout, if not exactly like the 170.

I think all these designs must have been influenced by the Yamaha SG2000, which was the first full depth, deep cutaway guitar that I remember from this late70s/80s period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Genesis_Gibson_Image_1.jpg

post-2304-1283975994_thumb.jpg

I also think that the Gibson Spirit was big influence on the development of the Gibson Les Paul Standard DC and the PRS guitars, there is a Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard DC Pro from the late 90's that has a similar shaped headstock shape as the Heritage was a very nice well built guitar very similar to the Heritage 170

post-2304-1283975994_thumb.jpg

I also think that the Gibson Spirit was big influence on the development of the Gibson Les Paul Standard DC and the PRS guitars, there is a Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard DC Pro from the late 90's that has a similar shaped headstock shape as the Heritage was a very nice well built guitar very similar to the Heritage 170

I like that one...

I tried to buy a Epiphone Spirit , made in Kalamazoo, a short time ago... but it fell through. It was nice.

( I agree on the origin of the LP Std DC....)

not to be confused with this med_gallery_342_100_1712.jpg

Are those "Lipstick" pickups, ie; Danelectro style?

Interesting thread. It looks like the Heritage H170 has more rounded cutaways on each side of the neck versus the Epiphones. All in all, the H170 is one classy guitar.

This topic with the references to Epliphone got me thinking about "lawsuit" guitars , did a few searches,some interesting stuff out there. Evidently there where some really good copies of Gibson and Fender made in Japan in the late 70's and 80's. Found this Yamaha on e bay, looks like the 170.

post-978-1284637002_thumb.jpg

To me, the Yamaha looks much different than the H170, with the Epiphone and Gretsch guitars shown here coming the closest. To their credit, Yamaha was trying to offer a thick double cutaway with a typical Gibson control/pickup setup in hopes of pulling in some LP players, but it was an uphill battle. The Heritage H170 is still at the top of the food chain.

Archived