Heritage Owners Club

N.A.D.!

yoslate

Actually the Princeton Reverb has a split load phase inverter, unlike it's larger siblings which use a long tail pi, and uses a 12ax7 in that position. This is one reason why the Princeton sounds different than most other Fenders. A good GE 12ax7wa or Sylvania long plate 12ax7 work very well in that spot.

I guess that depends on the Princeton...My buddy's vintage BF (mid 60's) uses a 12at7 for the PI position, and that amp is known to have several different versions of the front end. I think that the Syl LP will push the output section harder than just about any other 12ax7 available, too. Thanks for the knowledge! And keep stirring the pot!

Aside: Played the Princeton with the Tele, at rehearsal tonight. Didn't wind it up much because we rehearse at pretty conservative levels, but the amp, with the Weber sounds better than I thought, last night! As Campilongo said in a video, "This amp sounds pretty good...." Will diddle some tubes, but that's probably it, now. Really pleased with this purchase!!!

Aside: Played the Princeton with the Tele, at rehearsal tonight. Didn't wind it up much because we rehearse at pretty conservative levels, but the amp, with the Weber sounds better than I thought, last night! As Campilongo said in a video, "This amp sounds pretty good...." Will diddle some tubes, but that's probably it, now. Really pleased with this purchase!!!

That is great news! Maybe no one else might find this interesting, but time and time again I have played an amp at home and found that what sounded a certain way playing alone sounded quite different "in the mix."

It's kinda like what I noticed when shooting lots of slides in 35mm equipment years ago, what I saw in the viewfinder was most often at least slightly different from what came back after the film was developed.

Once again, congratulations on your new amp!.

Archived