Heritage Owners Club

N.A.D.!

yoslate

In light of what's been posted here recently (eg. the Frankenmaster thread, and then there's Mike's '61 Vibrolux), what I've got is pretty mundane. But I'd been reading about these, watching youtube vids and Jim Campilongo. Had the opportunity to snag an as-new Princeton Reverb re-issue today, for about half of list. Went to a pal's shop, knowing he'd just picked it up, played a terrific Nash Tele through it for about twenty minutes, then wrote a check. Honkin' little box! I used to own the real thing, and, as I recall that, this is really close. Not quite as warm, but a little more punch, at fifteen watts. Reverb is archetypal Fender. Tremelo is pretty good, and a nice thing to have. The Jensen Fender installs seems the real deal, as well. Fair amount of headroom, beginning to break up around seven. As Campilongo says, you can run the amp on ten, as he does, and control things from the guitar. That seems to work: Get out of the guitar a bit, and it settles in nice and cleanly. Very much the grab-and-go package!

Don't feel like I have to do a thing to that little amp, but.... Anybody know of any must do mods, or smart tube replacements? Speaker options? I have a couple of Weber F10-150's, which I found too dark for my '76 Vibrolux, sitting in a box. Mavguy, Mike, Tim, bolero, John..., Bueller, anyone?

In light of what's been posted here recently (eg. the Frankenmaster thread, and then there's Mike's '61 Vibrolux), what I've got is pretty mundane. But I'd been reading about these, watching youtube vids and Jim Campilongo. Had the opportunity to snag an as-new Princeton Reverb re-issue today, for about half of list. Went to a pal's shop, knowing he'd just picked it up, played a terrific Nash Tele through it for about twenty minutes, then wrote a check. Honkin' little box! I used to own the real thing, and, as I recall that, this is really close. Not quite as warm, but a little more punch, at fifteen watts. Reverb is archetypal Fender. Tremelo is pretty good, and a nice thing to have. The Jensen Fender installs seems the real deal, as well. Fair amount of headroom, beginning to break up around seven. As Campilongo says, you can run the amp on ten, as he does, and control things from the guitar. That seems to work: Get out of the guitar a bit, and it settles in nice and cleanly. Very much the grab-and-go package!

Don't feel like I have to do a thing to that little amp, but.... Anybody know of any must do mods, or smart tube replacements? Speaker options? I have a couple of Weber F10-150's, which I found too dark for my '76 Vibrolux, sitting in a box. Mavguy, Mike, Tim, bolero, John..., Bueller, anyone?

Hi, am honored to be called out! I like revoicing an amp from the back end towards the front. I'm guessing the speaker uses push on spade fittings... so pretty easy to swap out. I bet you will like the Weber, for the amount of time it takes to do the speaker swap, just do it. If ithat speaker is brand new, then run it for a while, like 20 hours before making any lasting decisions. some speakers need time to break in. Exactly what brand of preamp tubes does it use, and what tubes for what positions? And what brand of power tubes does it use and where are they made? Also, does this amp have a bias pot? You'd have to yank the chassis out to find out, but that's easiest way to have room to do the speaker swap anyway. Looking forward to hearing from you, and if you prefer to do the PM thang that's fine.

Best,

Gary

Rob, all I can say is I didn't realize you were a Jim Campilongo fan!!

I literally listened to him all the way home from PSP3!!!

My Headstrong 'Lil King is supposed to be an exact clone of the PR and I can tell you that with the "grab & go" portability, but even more for the warm big tone, the Headstrong has seen the most action lately.

Nice snag.

As far as mod go: Tung-sol 6V6s and some RCA vintage 12Ax7s, if the speaker sounds good that might be all you need.

Nice score - I use mine all the time (brand new clearance item from Best Buy last winter). Haven't made any changes as I like it right out of the box. Did put some damping around the cab as was getting some rattling from resonance, especially on say low F or F#. Fixed that and it's a sweet little combo. Love the cleans/verb/trem. Not as keen on the driven sound (a little 'farty' if you will) so prefer a pedal in front if need bit-o-gain.

Nice, light, hit's sweet spot at low volume. Nice combo. Fender got it right with this reissue. Had a '66 P/non-verb that was okay, but wanted the verb so sold it a couple years ago. Don't miss it w/the PRRI.

Congrats on the new amp, Rob. (btw... how's teh li'l Bitar doing?)

Hey Rob, congrats on your new amp. I agree with what's been said so far. Try one of those Weber 10F150's first and go from there. If the stock power tubes are EH 6V6, and they sound good, no need to replace them. They work well in some amps and not in others. The new Tung Sol 6V6 is a great sounding tube and comes very close in sounding like the original RCA 6V6GTA. If it were my amp I would make sure I had some USA made preamp tubes in it. IMHO, this is the most important change you can make. While many new production power tubes sound good, I have yet to hear a new production preamp tube I like. The closest is the new Tung Sol 12ax7.

I thought Fender was using rebranded (co-branded?) GT powertubes. Maybe not.

Groove Tubes are actually rebranded SovTek/Electro Harmonix, JJ or Shuguang tubes.

Even early on, when Groove Tubes started, they rebranded RCA, Sylvania, GE, Phillips, etc. and never actually made their own tubes.

Groove Tubes are actually rebranded SovTek/Electro Harmonix, JJ or Shuguang tubes.

Even early on, when Groove Tubes started, they rebranded RCA, Sylvania, GE, Phillips, etc. and never actually made their own tubes.

Knew that. Which was my point not well made. :D

Slate,

Had a Princeton (non-reverb) myself, back in the days shortly after electricity was invented. It was my very first amp. Since I wasn't yet 16, my dad had to drive me to gigs in our '62 BelAir. Sometimes I got paid $5. Wow.

Enjoy that puppy.

Lyle

All right, now time to really stir the pot up...

It's wonderful to come home from that music store with a brand new amp,

But even better to lose that store bought tone... ;)

It becomes yours...

Here's a couple slam dunks for the preamp section:

PI: Jan Philips 12at7wc or Mullard cv4024, matched triodes, same tubes but not necessarily matched triodes for any other 12at7 positions

V1: RCA 7025 short plate

other 12ax7...1960-1962 vintage Raytheon long black plate, round getter halo with partial 3rd mica.

RCA 7025 IS the classic Fender early gain stage tube.

All right, now time to really stir the pot up...

It's wonderful to come home from that music store with a brand new amp,

But even better to lose that store bought tone... ;)

It becomes yours...

Here's a couple slam dunks for the preamp section:

PI: Jan Philips 12at7wc or Mullard cv4024, matched triodes, same tubes but not necessarily matched triodes for any other 12at7 positions

V1: RCA 7025 short plate

other 12ax7...1960-1962 vintage Raytheon long black plate, round getter halo with partial 3rd mica.

RCA 7025 IS the classic Fender early gain stage tube.

Actually the Princeton Reverb has a split load phase inverter, unlike it's larger siblings which use a long tail pi, and uses a 12ax7 in that position. This is one reason why the Princeton sounds different than most other Fenders. A good GE 12ax7wa or Sylvania long plate 12ax7 work very well in that spot.

Kind of floored at all the interest! But I knew I'd get some quality response to my question. Thanks so much, guys! Gary, I did swap out for the Weber last night. Probably should A/B a little more thoroughly. It was late, and I couldn't wind it up after the swap. The Weber seems to have the same sound in the Princeton as in the Vibrolux: a little dark, scooped just a bit at the high mids. May actually like the Jensen better. Also interested in trying an Eminence Ragin' Cajun in it. Heard lots of good things about those. John, yeah, stumbled upon Campilongo on Youtube; he's a quirky, wonderful player! Larry, yep, "ideal" in a bunch of "age-related" ways. And that's not at all bad. Randy, funny that you mentioned "resonance" which required damping. Mine has similar issues, but not at all a problem. And this amp is in no way a threat to the Bitar, which is great! Sounded wonderful at a gig last Friday night. Funny, though, that I had an e-mail from George this morning, as he lurks here, and saw the Princeton thread. Two way different animals! Although I'm intrigued at the notion of bi-amping with both at my next gig! Mike and Gary, I have a rich source for tubes. I'll try to audition some of your suggestions as soon as I can get to Dale's with a list. And it has GT's and "Fender" branded tubes, with a JJ at the 5AR4. Kenny: bad as the rest of "us"? Not even close! Thanks again for the interest, all! The HOC is just a great place!

Slate,

Had a Princeton (non-reverb) myself, back in the days shortly after electricity was invented. It was my very first amp. Since I wasn't yet 16, my dad had to drive me to gigs in our '62 BelAir. Sometimes I got paid $5. Wow.

Enjoy that puppy.

Lyle

Nice car, my first car was a Turquoise '62 BelAir, 283 & 3 on the tree. Good times.

Nice car, my first car was a Turquoise '62 BelAir, 283 & 3 on the tree. Good times.

Cool. My first car was a '62 Mercury Monterey with a 390; black with a silver top.

Rob, if the Weber 10F150 isn't doing it for you, have it reconed with the 10F150"T" cone. Many call this the best speaker for a Princeton and Weber will do it for $25 + shipping.

Cool. My first car was a '62 Mercury Monterey with a 390; black with a silver top.

Killer cars. That 390 was smokin hot. Great sound as I remember. I had a friend with a 67 Fairlane GT, 390 w/4 speed. One Bad car.

all right you gear heads - back to amps <_<

Rob, you've likely seen this, but given the thread context thought I'd add it...

Those cars were amped up, does that count?

Uh...my first car was a '69 Toyota Corolla station wagon...for which I paid about as much as I did for the Princeton. But I drove my dad's '63 Corvair Monza all through high school. I was Unsafe At Any Speed ! (Is this hi-jacking my own thread??)

all right you gear heads - back to amps <_<

Rob, you've likely seen this, but given the thread context thought I'd add it...

I just LOVE Jim's playing!!! He can do straight Chet to full out Roy Buchanan.

You can't really categorize his playing. Anywhere from old school country to something near punk!!

Archived