Heritage Owners Club

Golden Age Pickups

squawken

And if you're interested in stock Schallers, I have a few sets for sale--silver or gold.

Does ANYBODY like the Schallers???

Seems to me, not.

So why do H use them... Madness  ???

Another thing that annoys me is... On their web site, models page, they list some models as having SD's or HRW's but some just say " two chrome humbucking pickups".

These, presumably, are the Schallers. Are they just too embarrassed to say ???

It's kinda like Porsche releasing the new 911... With a moped engine... :o

Rant over... ;)

I don't mind the Schallers.  I have a neck bucker in the 137D (someone replaced the bridge with an SD Custom) and the S-S-H int he 160V are all Schaller.  While the bucker in the 137D can sound muddy with the tone knob turned down too far, the pups in the 160V have very good separation/note definition.  Would they be the first things I'd buy?  Maybe, maybe not...depends on my price range. 

I personally like the Schallers. Nice traditional  PAF sound. Didnt find them muddy at all. I think you have to play around with the pickup heights. They possibly sound better on my 170 because there is less body wood like an SG.

I personally like the Schallers. Nice traditional  PAF sound. Didnt find them muddy at all. I think you have to play around with the pickup heights. They possibly sound better on my 170 because there is less body wood like an SG.

That is something I haven't tried doing.  It probably doesn't help that I put the (dreaded, by some) flatwounds on the 137.  I'll have to see what difference pickup height makes; good suggestion.

funny that this was bought up...i was screwing around w/ the pickup height on the '00 170 the other day too......and it does make a big difference.  too high definately sounds bad!!!

As I understand it.

The higher the pickup the louder however the proximity of the magnets to the strings affects their ability to resonate and results in less sustain and a certain amount of distortion.

Anybody know of any other factors?

Another factor would be too much magnetic pull on the strings, which would in turn cause inntonation problems.

I've started a topic in the Family Tree section, (as it does not involve Heritage guitars ).

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,1080.0.html

In the first clip Seymour Duncan replaces pickups on a LP, and adjusts the pickup height .... you might like to have a look.

As far as magnet pull on strings goes active pickups do not suffer from this as much as the high power output comes from the pickup preamp and not the pickups magnets.

They can be adjusted very close to the strings.

Archived