Heritage Owners Club

Thinking about making a change?

brentrocks

I'm not real crazy about the EMGs in the Gary Moore. :(

I'm thinking about a couple options.....

1.  Pulling out the EMGs and taking it down to Heritage and having HRWs put in it.

2.  Pulling the EMGs out and taking it down to Heritage and having a set of SDs put in it. (i dint know the cost diff?)

3.  Buying a set of SD on my own and taking it to my guitar guy to have them installed. (prob save me $100 or more?)

no matter what i do, i will keep all the original parts, because that is important to its factory originality :P  I'm just not crazy about the EMGs.

Am i stupid to to mess with this rare bird's original nature?  OR as long as i keep all the parts, do you think its an OK move?

Brent, I think you bought it to play, no? If your going to hang it up in a glass display as a collectible for all to see, then leave it be. If your going to play it and enjoy the tones, hold on to the EMG electronics; (you'll have to change the pots also) and put a set of pickups you can live with in it. Duncan Seth Lovers or '59's are nice.

Not evryone can just drop a guitar off with Ren, and for that reason I wouldn't rule out the HRW's.

When i took my (Jorgens) 140 down to Heritage, Ren "TOOK" it from me when he saw that the fret needed attention, i have a feeling if I were to bring the GM down there, he might do it.  BUT I think i could buy a pair and have it done elswhere for a lot less (not HRWs) but some SDs.  Unless somebody has a set of HRWs they want to sell :)

Brent, I think you bought it to play, no? If your going to hang it up in a glass display as a collectible for all to see, then leave it be. If your going to play it and enjoy the tones, hold on to the EMG electronics; (you'll have to change the pots also) and put a set of pickups you can live with in it. Duncan Seth Lovers or '59's are nice.

I'm certainly not gona hang it up as a display piece, it has some minor dings already, so i'm not gonna hurt it. 

Why do the pots have to be changed?

I dunno, Brent.  When you look at all the 'vintage' stuff that's sold in the last, oh, five years, anything that's been touched (even if it's reversible/reversed) takes a nasty hit.  The "all original, never been molested" examples, especially of rare models, are the most sought after.  That being said, I am not one to buy guitars as investments, but rather because they scratch some itch I have (read: look like they'd be fun to play or offer interesting tonal possibilities), or maybe it's something I've always wanted to own.  So, maybe if you're a "these are tools, meant to be used" person, you don't worry about the resale value.

Did you buy the Gary Moore Signature H150 because you wanted to capture his tone from that era?  Did you buy it because it is a rare-bird and you thought it was priced right?  Did you buy it just because you like Heritage guitars, and figured this one, too, would be exceptionally well built and an outstanding value?  I think that your intent when buying the guitar will give you the answer to your last two questions.

Now, as to the pups, if I were having SDs or anything else put in it, I'd do it myself or have a reasonably experienced local guy do it for me.  For you, the factory is local, so that might be the answer.  I suppose there are probably less expensive, qualified luthiers, though, too.  If you're going HRWs, you pretty much have to go factory, unless you get lucky and find someone willing to sell you theirs (I did!  Heh). 

No matter what you decide to do, enjoy the guitar...it was made to be played.

Shoot, another Heritage marketing slogan!  "Made to be Played!"  I bet someone else already took it, though.

No, You're right. It  doesn't add up to get HRW's installed, especially if you'd need new electronics. I mentioned it thinking it might be worth doing because Heritage could get it done for you, and if you did not like the result you would have no problem selling a pair of HRW's. With active electronics in there...you could have a problem. Somebody like Kazwell can probably tell you for sure. At least you're not hurting for something to play in the meantime. Maybe messing with that guitar isn't the best idea.

Thanks for the input guys...i appreciate it

This is what i was thinking.  OK, i have the active electronics taken out, store them away in a safe place in case i ever sell it.  The guy that works on my guitars is also a Heritage employee, he has his own shop and does guitar work after he come home from Heritage at his place.  He also worked there when Gibson was there.  Have the SDs put in, get it home, play it, yadda, yadda.  If the time come, i decide to sell it, take it back to Pete, have him reinstall the active electrics, no harm-no foul?

At least that is what I'm thinking....

"Made to be Played!"  I bet someone else already took it, though.

Yes it has--by Guild.  But since no "real" Guilds have been made since the plant was closed in Rhode Island, it's just another marketing ploy. Now I believe they're made in--where else? China!

Brent--if you install the pups yourself, you can save even more $$--just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Well though it's somewhat rare, I don't think the Gary Moore signature Heritage will ever be a colectors item.  It's been years since he played one, he's since had his own signature Gword Les Paul, and he's moslty known for playing vintage Les Pauls anyway.  Nice guitars, you bet, collectors item, I don't think so.  Still it makes sense to hang onto the original electronics just in case...

Well though it's somewhat rare, I don't think the Gary Moore signature Heritage will ever be a colectors item.  It's been years since he played one, he's since had his own signature Gword Les Paul, and he's moslty known for playing vintage Les Pauls anyway.  Nice guitars, you bet, collectors item, I don't think so.  Still it makes sense to hang onto the original electronics just in case...

yeah, i'm sure there are some hardcore Gary Moore fans out there who may desire a Heritage GM more than some?  who knows?  i did keep all the original electronics though...i'll stow them away for safe keeping.  I like the Al pro IIs...everything i read about them was true.  they have a nice, warm tone...not to aggressive.  the bridge does have a nice punch if you turn up the gain a bit....great for classic rock/blues

width=600 height=450http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ebmmquilt/Gary%20Moore/P1010049.jpg[/img]

New guy again!!!

I have a set of these pickups in my 97 H-150 this guy can wind a pickup I was a die hard Seth Lover and Alnico-II fan for a long time until I bought these.

A guy named Jeff in Florida at www.highorderpickups.com I have the Alnico 5 Maximums in the bridge and the 8.5K Alnico 2 in the neck.

I have owned two vintage Gib's 335 and a  LP as far as tone these sound sweet and a nice vintage PAF soul to them.

New guy again!!!

I have a set of these pickups in my 97 H-150 this guy can wind a pickup I was a die hard Seth Lover and Alnico-II fan for a long time until I bought these.

A guy named Jeff in Florida at www.highorderpickups.com I have the Alnico 5 Maximums in the bridge and the 8.5K Alnico 2 in the neck.

I have owned two vintage Gib's 335 and a  LP as far as tone these sound sweet and a nice vintage PAF soul to them.

thats cool man!!  got pics?

• 5 months later...
Yes it has--by Guild.   But since no "real" Guilds have been made since the plant was closed in Rhode Island, it's just another marketing ploy. Now I believe they're made in--where else? China!

The GAD line is imported, the real Guilds are made in Connecticut ;)

Brent, she looks great, and I'm betting she sounds way better without the EMGs!

Hey Brett,

I think Heritage will change out the pickups for $210 installed (only on a Heritage) and give you back your old pickups.  It might be alittle bit more if you need new pots, but it is cool to have it done at the factory.  The HRW pickups are amazing.  I have 2 150's and have had EMGs, Seymour Duncans, and IMO, the HRW pickups blow them all away,  I am going to upgrade one of my 150's and a millenium to the HRW pickups.  Since you are so close, I bet they would let you play a couple of 150's side by side (bring your EMG Gary Moore along too). 

With no effects, the HRW pickups capture dynamics like I have never heard before (IMO, the best way to test pickups).  Good luck to you man.

Archived