Heritage Owners Club

H150 tailpiece

paul144

Just changing strings and noticed the tailpiece on my '02 has a made in Japan sticker on it. Its really lightweight (1.3 oz/40 grams) so I'm wondering if its aluminum? Its somewhat magnetic, so I think that rules out aluminum. Its actually lighter than the aluminum ones on stewmac.com.

Any thoughts?

I have quite a lot of experience with Japanese guitars as I used to import and sell vintage Greco, Yamaha, Aria etc.

I would say that the Japanese used to use an inferior metal and that is why the chrome on Japanese hardware is often tarnished and the chrome bubbling.

Perhaps this is the reason why?

theres nothing wrong cosmetically with it. I just expected it to be 2-3 oz heavier. A reg Gotoh zinc tailpiece weighs around 4.5 oz.  A lightweight Aluminum is 2.83 oz.

The one on my H150 is 1.3 oz. Just wondering what kind of metal its made from, thats all. Not looking to replace it, the guitar sounds great. And why add anymore weight?

Did you buy the guitar new or used?  All the new Heritage's I've owned or played came with either Schaller or TonePros hardware.  There may have been a brief period after Mr. Schaller passed away that they switched to Gotoh - I know TonePros did briefly.

which is magnetic? Zinc or Aluminum? I'm pretty sure alum is not magnetic. A magnet will stick to this, but not real strong.

Iron is magnetic and therefore any metal including iron in its composition (steel) will also be magnetic. That excludes Aluminium.

(That's "al u min e um" as opposed to "al oo min um" or however it is some people pronounce it) ;) ;D

The History channel is my favorite.  The story of Boudica was inspiring. (Of course since the Romans were keeping the books they called her Boudicia)  A lot of the information in that show was new to me.  I love to learn.

Just changing strings and noticed the tailpiece on my '02 has a made in Japan sticker on it. Its really lightweight (1.3 oz/40 grams) so I'm wondering if its aluminum? Its somewhat magnetic, so I think that rules out aluminum. Its actually lighter than the aluminum ones on stewmac.com.

Any thoughts?

I too am curious about what tailpieces were used around '02. I purchased a used '02 Ultra and was told that it is all original. It has a Schaller TOM (Nashville style) and a regular Gotoh tailpiece.  ???

Archived