Heritage Owners Club

The Beheading -Lessons Learned?

Blunote

I think we all fear shipping guitars guitars. Or should.

I travel quite a bit and am always worried that some gate agent will insist on checking my guitar in the hold. Recently, mgoetting (Mark) has reported significant damage at the hands of Fed-ex.

I hate to say all baggage handlers are alike, but I was recently seated in one of the aft rows of a Delta flight (cattle car class), where I was able to watch the baggage handlers load the plane. The "United breaks guitars" video is a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. I saw boxes marked "fragile" slammed onto the conveyor as if they were part of a durability testing regimen. The next leg of that flight was Quantas to Sydney. The gate agent tried to seize my guitar (H-150P) and send to the hold, but I refused. Turned out there was more than enough room to spare in the overheads and the instrument made it safely with me to where I am now, Auckland NZ.

So what is the collective wisdom regarding shipping or travelling with instruments?

Should the all tension be removed from the strings? Special packaging? Are some carriers better than others?

I'm frequently faced with this and would like to know what common sense precautions I can take to safeguard my instrument.

I flew to the first PSP. I had to gate check my guitar so it was put into the gut of the plane. I left it in tune and packed the hell out of it inside the case with bubble wrap, especially around the neck close to the head stock. I was as nervous as a dog tied up behind a Korean restaurant but every thing worked out just fine.

When you ship anything it is a roll of the dice. As many guitars as Mark moves it is a wonder that this is his first broken neck. :icon_biggrin:

Imagine my frame of mind when I was waiting on the 357-Firebird being delivered in a gig bag.

So tell me Blue, are you going to bring that guitar with you to the PSP in Kalamazoo next summer... or for you, next winter?

How long are you in Auckland for? is that your final destination or are you moving around over there?

I freight guitars regularly. Never had one break. Cant figure out how these things happen to others. We are reasonably careful with packing but once it leaves the door and starts its travel its beyond our control. But no ruined guitars yet. I cant imagine that Aussie drivers and freight handlers are any different from any where else in the world.

Cant offer any advice on how to pack as I only stick the guitar in its case and then place the case in a well padded, sturdy cardboard box, tape up and send. No detuning, no extra packing in side the case.

Guest mgoetting

Not long ago I had a Hohner headless guitar for travel. Now I use something about the size of a SG, about three inches shorter than a LP. It's always a carry on. Warning the gate personnel 15 minutes before boarding allows them to plan where in the passenger compartment I can stow it. Usually it's overhead. Larger guitars go in the attendant's closet.

In theory you would relax the truss rod and detune. The neck should be supported its entire length and the headstock surrounded firmly in bubble wrap.

I like the bridges and tailpieces that are fixed by Allen screws.

I met a guy from Vegas (Heritage endorsing artist) who had the top of his archtop crushed in. It appears that something heavy fell on the case and drove the bridge and PG into the body. Solid bodies have an advantage here.

The last time I flew with a guitar was many, many years ago. I was able to cary it on with no problem, but this was before the recent size restrictions. I'm not sure what I would have done if thy had asked me to check it. These days I would not check a guitar in anything less than a flight case. Even then I'd be nervous as hell. An interesting side note: my brother flies regularly with a Mexican harp. He used to try and build big boxes to keep them safe, yet they always arrived damaged. He now has a clear plastic carrying case with absolutely no padding whatsoever. Since using this his harps have arrived safe and sound every time.

As for shipping guitars, I bought a Grosh Set Neck from a guy about two years back now. It arrived like it was packed to survive the blast at ground zero. When I commented on the packing job he mentioned he had UPS pack it. He takes the guitar and case to UPS and has them pack it. He photographs the entire process including lots of pictures of the smiling UPS employee holding the guitar in perfect condition. I'm sure he flashes his card as well - he's a lawyer - but all I can say was it was absolutely the best packing job I've seen.

As for me, I still package them myself, but I do photograph the entire process including pictures showing the condition of the guitar before being put in the case and boxed up. I include a copy the the days newspaper so the date can be confirmed. I try my best to double box, and use plenty of bubble wrap or packing peanuts. I know allot of people don't like packing peanuts but if you do it correctly (i.e. stuff a lot of peanuts in there) they provide much better protection than crumpled up news paper. Try this: stuff one garbage bag with crumpled up newspaper as tightly as you can. Stuff another garbage bag with packing peanuts as tightly as you can. Affix both bags to a brick wall. Punch both bags as hard as you can. Now tell me which one sent you to the hospital. Hint, punch the peanuts first or you wont get around to punching the newspaper.

I have shipped probably 40 guitars in the last five years. So far(crosses fingers)no damage.

My normal procedure is: large enough box to allow a full bubble wrap of the case and insertion

of additional cardboard and cushioning at the butt and head of the case.

Inside the case the guitar is secured with bubble pack so it does not move with additional

attention at the headestock. I never leave it suspended but bubble back above and below.

I put a thin foam sheet under the strings to keep them off the frets.

I also generally leave the guitar in tune unless it's an archtop. Usually I slack the strings, pad under the

tailpiece and put the bridge in the case pocket. If it's a gig bag shipment I wrap the bag and then

tape plywood or lexan scraps (from work) to it as extra protection.

Now, conversely, guitars I'be bought or traded for have not always been packed well.

My 575 showed up in an acoustic guitar size box with minimal padding to keep it from moving

in the box and none inside the case. It's very lucky that it was not damamged.

The scary thing is that the guy I got it from took it to his favorite guitar

store to ship it for him.

One guy I've traded with on numerous occations wraps the guitar in old T-shirt material and ALWAYS double boxes. His packages take an hour to open up

but the guitar is always pristeen.

I had UPS package an archtop for me once

I've never had them pack one but I've received a couple they did.

Really large box with 2" foam on all sides then the guitar case

floated inside that in peanuts. Looked really bullet proof.

How long are you in Auckland for? is that your final destination or are you moving around over there?

I freight guitars regularly. Never had one break. Cant figure out how these things happen to others. We are reasonably careful with packing but once it leaves the door and starts its travel its beyond our control. But no ruined guitars yet. I cant imagine that Aussie drivers and freight handlers are any different from any where else in the world.

Cant offer any advice on how to pack as I only stick the guitar in its case and then place the case in a well padded, sturdy cardboard box, tape up and send. No detuning, no extra packing in side the case.

I'll be here until 12/17, But for a 2 week visit home last month, I've been here since early August.

Does anybody totally slacken the strings?

Or maybe loosen the strings and truss rod?

I'm thinking that maybe keeping all that stress on the neck may leave it more prone to breaking if struck. Do we have a mechanical engineer on the board with a theory?

I'll be here until 12/17, But for a 2 week visit home last month, I've been here since early August.

Cool. Im originally from Tauranga/Mt Maunganui in the Bay Of Plenty and also spent 4yrs in Whitianga on the Coromandle Peninsula when I was 12-16.

My Mum and brother both live at Mt Maunganui.

Sorry for hijack.

I've been meaning to get down to Coromandle. Thought about going this weekend. A local singer songwriter was playing down there and suggested I attend her gig.

She's pretty damn good! Rhonda Vincent's album Destination Life used one of her songs as the title track. I recorded this during a jam session held each Thursday night at a cafe down on Ponsonby St.

Hellava glut of talent here.

i received a Martin yesterday by way of UPS. When it arrived, I asked the driver if i could take a look before he left.

Drivers seem to hate it when you ask this.

Anyway, as he walked away slowly, after saying he would wait, he made some interesting comments.

"IT'S A GUITAR, IT'S PROBABLY FINE."

"IF IT'S BEEN WELL PACKED, IT'S PROBABLY FINE"

and "IT'S THE GUITAR GUYS WHO PACK THE GUITARS THAT THROW THEM ON TO THE TRUCK, NOT US"

to which I replied, "I'M SORRY, WHAT?"

Then he changed his story a bit, and eluded to the fact that he's talking about the UPS guys who load the trucks.

I've heard the workers who load shipping and luggage for transit called THROWERS.

After all that's what they do. you've seen it, right?

As a working professional in the studio & music production for the last 24 years, we have one simple rule.

AVOID SHIPPING GEAR WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

We have gone so far as to drive our beloved AKAI MPC 3000's to L.A. from S.F., about 500 miles, to avoid shipping them.

That's how sick we can be about our gear.

I know that's unrealistic for most circumstances, but some things can't be replaced.

Not sure if this would have helped, but I've always found the information on packing archtops on this site helpful. I also use the inside the case methods when flying, though I've been lucky on being able to carry onboard so far (knock knock knock).

http://www.archtop.com/ac_shipping.html

Not a shipping solution, but I'm thinking of buying one of these clams for the next time I have to fly:

http://www.jhalemusic.com/pages/cases.html

Archived