Heritage Owners Club

Thought I'd try one of these tailpieces

AnH555

Since I haven't been able to talk myself into removing the nut from this guitar (it pings when tuning), I thought I'd see how one of these looks on it. I couldn't find a Schaller, so it's a G-brand. 1 karma point to the first one who can name the inventor of the TP-6.  And since the pickguard is black I figured I'd try black knobs in place of the amber ones. Uh, Brent, old buddy old pal, if there's any way you could talk Heritage out of a black HRW switch tip next time you're over there....nah forget it. So what do you guys think? It's a heavy piece and a perfect fit. Don't know yet if there's any tonal advantage to it but it should allow very accurate tuning. I won't deny that it's all about whether it looks good. I'm liking it so far. And I already invested the forty-nine cents to convert it to a locking tailpiece, like I did the bridge. Hey, it's my only Heritage and we take good care of each other!

b 004.jpg

b 004.jpg_thumb

Yup. I knew you guys knew that. I read it on the Heritage website. Karma up as well, Kazwell. Because of your suggestion I'm using nickel strings.

You can take one away from me...I didn't know, but only guessed based on my belief that Ren is a genius of "guitar engineering."  :o

"Form follows function...." AnH.  I think it "looks the business!"  And about that nut, if you're not up to it, get a good luthier to do a bone nut right for you.  One of the best less expensive upgrades you can do!  You will not regret it!

About the nut. On Thundersteels thread on truss rod covers link it turns out they sell nuts of exotic materials, like mammoth ivory. My oldest guitar has an ivory nut and I really like it. But on this Heritage that nut has heavy lacquer surrounding it. It would need to be done carefully, and somebody like Cryoman or a good tech could handle it. Heck, Slate you wouldn't just drop your best axe off to just anyone! You know? But widening the slots, Slider, is an option worth considering. The guitar had heavier strings on it when I got it, so I didn't think that was the issue. But it might work. Thanks for the ideas. HOC is the place to be!  '55

About the nut. Heck, Slate you wouldn't just drop your best axe off to just anyone! You know? 

Nope, AnH, you're right, I wouldn't!  I'd take it to Tom!  Everybody should take the time and make the effort to find a Tom and then cultivate a good working relationship with him.  Take him out to lunch once or twice, and let him talk.  Let him know what you're up to, and how.  For dedicated players and owners to have a good working relationship with a talented luthier is just invaluable!  Good luck with the widening project, AnH.  Let us know how that works for you. 

Widening the nut slots is an easy, low risk option for better turning performance and ridding yourself of the dreaded "tink." You can use a small square  (2" x 2") of 400 to 600 grit sand paper folded - use the folded edge - as your nut file.  This will not be too aggressive at removing material.  You want to "flare" out the machine-head side of the nut just slightly.

Alternatively, you can use pieces of appropriately larger sized acoustic wound strings (slightly large than your electric set of choice) as "files" to open up the nut slots a bit.  Again, this is not too aggressive and keeps a nice round and polished profile to the nut slot.  Dan Erlewine talks about glueing cut pieces of string to popsicle sticks. I just use the raw string cut to half of it's length.

Sincerely, your nut slut,

Cryoman

Uh...ooops... I meant "Cheers!"

Archived