Heritage Owners Club

Lollar Equipted 137 what pots and caps?

Spectrum13

I've got 2 137s. They both sound wonderful absolutely stock.

I've changed out pickups and electronics on 2 of my 3 PRSs. The Heritages will stay just like they are.

Tallar,

Our community is small but we have powerfull communication tools. I emailed Jason Lollar. He recommended "500K with .015 cap .02 is OK too".

While my 137 sounds wonderful, the stock pots have ten numbers on the knobs with about three or four usable stops. The tone controls goes from bass to treble and full treble. When an aluminum shaft cracked on my 150 I replaced the stock with an RS kit. Big difference. The Seth Lover neck pickup needed a 500K and the bridge a 300K. The stock controls on the 150 were 250K and 500K. When the values were reversed, I got a greater range from the neck pickup, brass shafts and a smoother graduation of volume and tone. That's why I'm sceptical of stock controls.

I could also hear a difference in the caps. While I do not expect the modded 137 to go to 11, I would like to get all 10. When a factory makes 1200 guitars a year, they purchase thousands of pots and caps. Economical decisions are made when it comes to a $1 cap /$2.00 pot vs. $15 cap & $5.00 pots at the end of the year it really adds up.   

Anyway I ordered and await delivery and installation. I also replaced the stock pickups on my PRS but left the Alpha controls.

I agree that the Heritage stock electronics aren't the best.  Looks liek they use Mallory caps and ?? pots.  While the pots are smooth, I find them to loose and either on or off.

I do a lot of tech work and have always rewired my own les pauls with graded 500k CTS pots (brass shafts when I can get them, ala RS) and quality PIO caps.  I also really dig the 50's wiring which seems to increase clarity in my experience.

Haven't had to time work on my 07 H-150 Goldtop, but when I do it's getting locking Grover tuners, a new nut, fret polish, Fret Dr. conditioner, new pots, caps, 50's wiring, tonepros locking bridge and tailpiece, Gibson pickguard...the whole works.  Topwrapped with 10's, possibly 11's.  It's an excellent guitar as is, I can't wait to get it macked out.  I may even get it refretted with 6100's.

Now your talking jamison162. 8) D Pimp that 150!

I went with the vintage wiring, bone nut, tonepros locking bridge but liked the Faber Tone-Lock tailpiece over tone pros. As I know better I just can't deny the 137.

Archived