Heritage Owners Club

150P legit?

Axman

Hi all,

I'm picking up a Heritage H-150P today and am just a bit wary as I've seen nothing "official" on the Heritage site  regarding this model.

There is little about them on the net and I want to make sure I am not picking up a counterfeit.  The serial is n28906.  This is my first Heritage and I've wanted one for years after first seeing Alex Skolnick playing a gold top at a TSO show.  It sounded sweet, as did the others I've since heard.

Thanks!

Thanks, I should have searched more on here. I did gather that from some search results I read on the net.  Even that came up with few results but the Harmony Central reviews were pretty favorable.  It's black and in decent shape.  $600 is a fair price you think?  As far as the seller knows, everything is stock with no mods made... some normal surface finish scratches that aren't deep..

I'm excited!  I really wanted a mahogany body but have heard good things about the poplar... If I love it as much as I think I will, there will be another 150 in my future.

I own one, in black and I'd say $600 is pretty cheap. (depending on condition of course).

To be honest, I don't much like mine compared to my 150 or 157. It may well be down to the Schaller pups in the P (I have SD59's in the 157 and HRW's in the 150). I also find it disconcertingly slim as it's 1/4" slimmer than a 150/LP. Nice and light though... Can't deny that ;D

For the money, buy it and if you don't like it... Sell it. I very much doubt you'll take a loss.

One other bit of advice... Check the fretwork very carefully. If it has high action, lower it before you buy and re check. ;)

Oh... And if it has SD's, or HRW's in it rather than Schallers... Then... IMHO its a better deal 8)

Well I have it, have plugged it in and it sounds good.  The woodgrain pickguard and plate on the headstock are a bit unsightly against the black.  I'm not sure what sort of pickups they are.. Black humbuckers with no cover.  Does anyone know what they came with in 97? They sound like they can use a bit more definition...

All in all it feels good after the trial run. Gonna play it in practice tomorrow and see what this baby has.

Well I have it, have plugged it in and it sounds good.  The woodgrain pickguard and plate on the headstock are a bit unsightly against the black.  I'm not sure what sort of pickups they are.. Black humbuckers with no cover.  Does anyone know what they came with in 97? They sound like they can use a bit more definition...

All in all it feels good after the trial run. Gonna play it in practice tomorrow and see what this baby has.

Mine has un covered black pickups and they are Schallers. Seems likely yours are too. Only way to find out is remove them (or perhaps just one of them).

I'd guess the wood pickguard is an after fit. Plate on the headstock? If you mean truss rod cover, and that it's made of wood, then I'd guess that was an aftermarket fit to.

Post a pic and we'll have a look.

Yes, truss rod cover.. took some pics today so anything you see feel free to comment on.  I know the wood pickguard/cover might be suspect.. the toggle switch seems quite small too, but works fine.  No buzzing crackles or any unwanted sounds, the pots work beautifully... good even volume control.  The heads are Grovers as you can see.. maybe not original?  I thought maybe they would be Schallers.

Yea, she ain't the prettiest but I tell you, already

I get a feeling just how she will react to every note.  It's like running into a stranger in a bar and you seemed to have known them all of your life.

width=600 height=450http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Axman_NC/150P_1.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Axman_NC/150P_2.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Axman_NC/150P_3.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Axman_NC/150P_4.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Axman_NC/150P_5.jpg[/img]

Nothing noticeable.. pretty good considering the age and it seems to have been played a bit.  I'll check closer when I change strings but yea.. Am happy and will get to crank her up tonight to see what she's got. I'm leaving the Pod XT in my truck so I don't have any external interference :)

I think you got a beauty! Look at the fit of that finger rest. Fits perfect. That's factory right there. You might try looking at the control plate cover before pulling the pups. My .... oops, Cosmik's 157 had the info there. Nice score.

Regards the bridge and tailpiece.. Both are std Schallers... The Grovers are standard too but this is the first time I've seen them mixed with the Schallers. Someone else might have an opinion on that.

Pups look a dead cert for Schaller.

I'd say the pickguard and truss rod cover are aftermarket and probably not Heritage. Anyone else know better?

Also... Check out the photobucket site in another thread. There are some closeup pics of the back of the selector switch which may prove useful in identifying whether yours is original.

I'm going to be adding some pics of my 150-p soon so you should be able to compare in more detail.

I agree with Cosmik's evaluation.  My 150P has Gibson-style bridge and tailpiece, and Dimarzio pickups.  I also agree that the guitar does seem strangely light and thin, but I like that a lot.  I'd feel confident taking my 150P on any gig, though at some point I may replace the Dimarzios with something like Seths or SD 59's.

I've been playing it in practice and live and yes, I do dig her.  Very responsive, sweet sounding, inspired me so as not to disappoint her  :o

Well, that may be laying it on thick, but it is a nice guitar for sure.  I think it's added a touch to my playing. 

Now I just need a name for her.  Paula would be a bit presumptuous, don't you think?

Archived