Heritage Owners Club

strings for a H150- nickel vs. steel vs. alloy

MartyGrass

For an electric, you have generally got three types of strings... Nickel, Nickel coated steel, and stainless steel.

The original strings in the 50s were primarily nickel. They are softer, and of the three have the lowest magnetic strength, producing a slightly lower signal. I think that the nickel strings (pure nickel) have a more balanced tone. I've started moving to nickels, but still have a few packs of nickel plated D'Addario strings to use up. They are a little more mellow than the plated strings. Loved them on my Milli with Seths.

Nickel coated steel strings were designed to take advantage of the magnetic properties of steel but keep some of the advantages of nickel. They will be stronger, generally brighter than pure nickel.

Stainless steel will give a strong output, but stainless steel is hard. It will tend to wear fret wire and gives the brightest sound (to me). Most will have a tin coating and should give a long life. I've never been a big fan of SS strings, but it probably depends on your pickups, your style etc.

More recently, they have introduced coated strings, with various coatings to improved the life of the strings. Teflon, titanium, nanoparticles. I like coated strings on acoustics (it cuts the finger squeaks) but I haven't tried them on any electrics.

For the prices, grab a package of each and start swapping. Only you can decide which string does it for you.

I've gotten real attached to the Pyramid pure nickel/silver-plated strings in the package with the green label. Sound great, play soft as silk and last a long time. Use them on my Heritage H150 and ES335. The 10-46 light set plays like a lighter string set without that rubber band sound/feel.

Whats was stated about nickel being more balanced with a slightly softer output is true. Nickel, pure nickel strings, like Rotosound Blues (my favorite, the best) or GHS Burnished Nickels are examples of pure nickel strings. Nickel strings break in faster, stretch less, last much longer, and are not nearly as prone to turning black in response to acidic fingers. They are a superior string in every way. Its a no brainer if you are a blues, rock or jazz player. However, if your into metal, you might consider steel or nickel wrapped strings with a steel core because they have a bit brighter sound. However, you should try the nickel because tone is ultimately in the fingers and you can pretty easily learn to compensate. You might like them.

In the 70's they stopped making pure nickel strings and started going with what you see now, the steel core with nickel winding because it was cheaper. It also fit well with the trends at the time to boost output and playing with more distortion. You can debate whether the trend to steel core strings was for tonal reasons or due to manufacturing reasons. Bit of both but in my opinion, it was obviously cheaper to make so...Again, I stress a nickel string is superior in every way. I can list the advantages but that pretty much sums it up. Given the innovations in string manufacturing over the last 30-40 years the nickel strings made now are much better than the ones made in the 50's and 60s.

I like rotosound strings. Most strings like GHS, D'Addario, and Ernie's, all come from the same factory made on the same machines. The values and specs used are different however thus the differences in the strings. However, Rotosound has their own manufacturing facilities and have done their own thing. I find their strings are great, as they break in a little better and last a little longer. They are very consistent from pack to pack and are very slinky. Nickel strings seem to last forever, I used to change my D'Addario's every 1-2 weeks from playing at least 4 hours a day. Nickel strings however have made me very inconsistent and lazy about how often I change strings. I have not done a lot of playing with coated strings but with nickel I say why bother?

I have some boxes of rotosound steel strings (all steel but I have not tried them yet. I have been looking forward to it but what was written above about them chewing up your frets makes sense. I don't know if I want to put my fets through that,but if you have steel frets you should be in good shape. I look forward to trying out the steel strings from rotosound given the marketing about having extra bite. Might be cool for metal and progressive rock and even some mean blues playing.

Peerless

H-140 2nd Ed (first one made)

H-150

www.peerlesstone.com

Archived