Heritage Owners Club

Look what I bought: a VIP2

jacques

Another ancient beast to try out: the VIP2

First impression: very well made, beautiful neck and body wood, super quality Kahler Flyer tremolo (still have to order the handle, so I don't know what it is going to do), Schaller humbuckers, VIP system.

Soon I will dedicate a page to it on my website and hopefully some sound clips to go.

VIP2-whole.jpg

VIP2-whole.jpg_thumb

That looks nice, Jacques. I'll bet it sounds good as well. It makes me wonder how you come up with these finds so far away. Your website takes a while to load on my computer, but I'll be by took take the tour. Dare i ask what it cost?

That looks nice, Jacques. I'll bet it sounds good as well. It makes me wonder how you come up with these finds so far away. Your website takes a while to load on my computer, but I'll be by took take the tour. Dare i ask what it cost?

So sorry my site's a bit of a nuisance to load. Maybe if you come by a second time my cookies will let you in more quickly. I already took off most of the sound clips and put them on that Boom place, but it is always hard to predict what a web site will do in other circumstances than your own.

Seems there was somebody back in the mid Eighties who believed in Heritage and had one or two pieces of each model in stock. They are mostly E serial numbers (1988). Eventually some must have been sold and some kept hanging on the store's wall for 20 years. I found and bought a 162, a 127 and now a VIP2 and only the 162 was still unsold, the rest ended up on other people's walls, I'm afraid (none of them shows any sign of fret or buckle wear - I'm doing that now...).

All these guitars go for around 450 to 500 euros, so 7 to 800 US dollars. I paid the 700.

Unplugged the sound is very excellent, so there's a promise. It is still too early to judge if it will sing like the H162 (if you ever see one of those, grab it!). Like I said I can't use the tremolo, so more about the sound later. My first impression of the Schallers is not as positive as with the 162. Way, way deep down inside I'm thinking of a replacement.

Thats a very interesting looking guitar jacques  8)

Does it sound like a Strat or more like a LP ?

Interesting indeed, you Left Handed Master (I never knew a South Paw was a left handed guy! And it all hails from baseball and the orientation of early  baseball fields to the same points of the compass, such that the pitcher's left arm was on the south side of his body. How could I ever know this?)

The VIP2 certainly has a couple of Strat qualities, but when I switch on the humbuckers I don't get the wail of the LP. That is, not on my small Fender at home. I will see later on the Carvin Legacy with my band. Sometimes good guitars can be very particular, so who knows. I rather play guitars that ALWAYS do well, like the 150....But, we'll see - it is only just there.

Archived