Heritage Owners Club

wrong pots for hrws ?

modRod

hi there

i own a 140 hrw, that i love and i´m almost completely happy with it, but: whenever i turn down the volume on the guitar, i loose an amount of highs that isn´t funny. since i have a 535 and a 150 with the lollar p90s, too and there´s no problem at all, i´m wondering if the hrws need other pots or.... has anybody any idea ?

here´s my baby

width=360 height=480http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/14/754514/1152_3934613565636432.jpg[/img]

It's not unusual to loose some highs when you roll back the volume. My HRW equipped Ultra does the same, as will most any guitar. Some people like to install a treble bleed circuit, that help retain some highs. It's not a difficult mod to perform, and there are a few different variations of that mod available. It's really not an issue with the pots (for me at least).

It's not unusual to loose some highs when you roll back the volume. My HRW equipped Ultra does the same, as will most any guitar. Some people like to install a treble bleed circuit, that help retain some highs. It's not a difficult mod to perform, and there are a few different variations of that mod available. It's really not an issue with the pots (for me at least).

hi

thanx for the reply and the link. i know, that i´ll loose some highs with rolled down volume, but in this case it´s quite dramatic (no problem with my other guitars). i think i´ll try the mod from the project page ( i´ll ask a friend for help...)

regards

arndt

ModRod,

This is a characteristic typical of "Modern" wiring vs. "Vintage". As this drives me nuts, I swapped over to vintage.

thanx for the reply. the friend, that i will ask to help me (i´m total idiot, when it comes to soldering) tells me once in a month, that i should try out the vintage wiring  :) 

It's funny you guys mention this modern vs. vintage wiring. I've always found it strange that my 1988 H162 keeps its highs when the volume rolls down (and keeps a lot of other good tone characteristics on the side!), while my 2005 and 2006 535 and 150 don't.

Maybe Heritage still used a vintage method back in the Eighties.

Note on the "Vintage" and "Modern":  Some of the 50's Lesters used "Modern" wiring. So you need to either look at how your guitar is wired or go by how the volume and tone pots work to know what you have.

ACMEGUITARWORKS.com/Les_Paul_Assembly_With_Humbucker  explains this stuff better than I can.

Archived