Heritage Owners Club

Everything else being equal.....

LK155

EQ003.jpg

Was recently given this equalizer by one of my offspring.

The company he worked for was throwing it out, and he rescued it. They had used it as part of their warehouse PA system.

It has no fewer than 31 points at which the frequency of the signal can be adjusted, in 1/3 octave intervals.

I have long been frustrated with the 1964 Gibson Falcon amp I purchased from Kuz last summer.

It never sounded the way I wanted it to. Not enough bottom end, not quite enough sparkle on the top end, and just a single tone control for EQ. Frankly I did not want to record anything with it.

It's very easy to be critical of a small amp like this, especially when you don't know exactly what kind of sound you want.

And especially when your basis for comparison is a flexible amp modeler like the Digitech GNX4 I use, on which you can dial up just about any amp sound you like.

But the old Falcon is a well-built 2x6V6GT tube amp, that in its day, might have been competition for a Deluxe Reverb.

So the potential for great sound should be there. It certainly has lots of clean headroom, even if I didn't find the 'clean' clean enough.

Putting this EQ box between guitar and amp makes a huge difference.

It doesn't completely solve my perceived lack of low frequency (I'm thinking an external closed-back 12" cab would help), but it does accentuate the lows already there. I can pretty well tune out the mid-range honk, and add as much treble as I want.

So now I'm not quite so frustrated. The old Falcon sounds completely different. And to my ears, better.

Will continue to tweak.

The price was certainly right.

Cool. I like to use EQs as more of a tone shaping tool than a tone fixing tool. Here's something I like to do. Try alternately pegging one band to the max, then the next band to the min, next to max, next to min, etc. You end up with some unique hollow sounds (somewhat like out-of-phase pickups, or manual flange tones) that can be quite cool. I think the max I've tried it with was 10 bands - I wonder how it would sound with 31 bands?!?

Cool. I like to use EQs as more of a tone shaping tool than a tone fixing tool. Here's something I like to do. Try alternately pegging one band to the max, then the next band to the min, next to max, next to min, etc. You end up with some unique hollow sounds (somewhat like out-of-phase pickups, or manual flange tones) that can be quite cool. I think the max I've tried it with was 10 bands - I wonder how it would sound with 31 bands?!?

WOW That's a cool idea..I have an old Carvin EQ..May have to try that sometime..

Archived