Heritage Owners Club

SD 59s vs. SD Seth Lovers in a new 535

GASguy

Hello,

I'm a new member looking at new 535s from internet guitar shops so I don't have the opportunity to A/B these for personal preference or direct comparison.

My only experience with Heritage is my 2001 555 with HRWs that I bought used about a year ago, (love it!).

I would be interested in members’ comments and opinions about the desirability of SD 59s versus SD Seth Lovers as stock pickups in a new 535 guitar.

Thanks,

Ron

Hi and welcome, I have SD 59's in my 555 and they are great. Many people love the Seth Lover's and there are advocates of both pick ups here on the forum. I believe that the 59's are wax potted where as the Seth Lovers are not, I have heard that the Seth Lovers are more prone to feedback. However, it would not be hard to wax pot them before you put them in the guitar. I am sure that you would be very happy with either, I have heard both and to be honest, I couldn't tell much difference. Good luck with your choice and let us know which one's you go for.

if you play with a lot of distortion & volume you may want to get potted pickups ( ie: not seths ) that don't feed back as easily, esp in a hollowbody

otherwise they are both good sounding pups: I prefer the airiness of seths myself, but I once had a 535 with '59's & it sounded great

I have Seths in my 535, and they sound Awesome..Nice low output PAF type tone..They are prone to feedback, but I've learned to use my volume controls to cut down on it..and really for me, i like a bit of feedback on my leads..So for me it's almost a perfect pickup..Good Luck in your search.. And 535s are da BOMB!! :icon_thumright:

Guest HRB853370

I have Seths in my 535, and they sound Awesome..Nice low output PAF type tone..They are prone to feedback, but I've learned to use my volume controls to cut down on it..and really for me, i like a bit of feedback on my leads..So for me it's almost a perfect pickup..Good Luck in your search.. And 535s are da BOMB!! :icon_thumright:

So the Seth Lovers, being low output pups, have to be turned up higher on the guitars volume control to achieve a comparable level to the SD59's?

This topic has come up a couple of times and there will never be consensus. Only personal preference.

My personal opinion is that the 59's will give you a slightly more versatile instrument, being able to do more of the 50's-90's rock genre. The Seths, to my ear, are slightly smoother and slightly better for cleaner and jazzier tones. But then again I have more experience with the 59's than I do with the Seths.. But then again, I did spend a decent amount of time auditioning lots of PuPs before deciding on 59's for my 157 (which as you can tell by the numbers is NOT a 535..).

I'll also throw out my usual warning that each guitar does sound different, so the only real way to tell would be to put them in "your" guitar. Unfortunately that's not very practical..

One thing you didn't mention was.. what kind of music you typically play. I think that might make a difference in helping people to steer you in the right direction.

Ok : in my opinion Seths (my favorite pups) are fine if you play jazz ... not all kinds of jazz;

59s are more all-around,more versatile,they're ok for rock,blues and why not also for jazz(but....not all kind of jazz... :smile_mini2: )

Archived