Heritage Owners Club

SAE Owners/Techs

tulk1

Got the Millie SAE Thursday. Pic from the auction attached as it's been crappy weather here, and I wanted outdoor pics before posting. I didn't buy it for the acoustic side, but for the smaller semi-solid (hollow) footprint. But, since it's got the LR Baggs T-Bridge I thought I'd give it a try. Thing is, it doesn't work so well. Using a mono cable you have to pull the cable out a click. Works OK, but the cable isn't "tight" and can wobble loose, hence loosing the connection. I tried a TRS cable, but that doesn't work at all. So I thought I'd pull the jack (plug? which one is the hole?) and tighten up the soldering. However!! the connection actually screws into the body. It's a big a$$ hollow screw (basically) with a screw driver slot for taking it out. I got a bit squeemish unscrewing this thing, so I stopped and threaded it back in. Heres' the thing - anyone got any idea about the SAE setup? Or the LR Baggs T-Bridge? Don't want to muck up my new Millie. And here's the photo from the auction. Closeups later if the weather gets better.

0694_1.JPG

that is pretty!  i dont really know about your bridge?  it is hard to see from the pic.

that has HRWs, doesnt it?

very nice!!!

EDIT....ohh are you trying to use an acoustic bridge?

The pups are Schallers - Made in Germany. Pulled one last night when I put on the DRs (which I really like so far). The bridge is tough to see in the pics. Even the one on the Baggs site isn't the best. Weird looking, too.

tbridge_header.jpg

Not familiar with the SAE or the piezo bridges at all.  But, I am familiar with less expensive cables from a certain big-box musical instrument retailer.  The lower end ones seem to have metric plugs on them, which are just a hair smaller than standard (inch) jacks require.  It drives me crazy to have the plugs be "loose" in the jack.  Grrr.

Sorry! I meant I got the correct cable and it works fine. The acoustic side doesn't have a preamp, so the vol drop is fairly drastic. Guess I could toss that Active-X controller or whatever Braggs is calling it, in the guitar. For now I'm using an A/B box. The acoustic side of the cable is going into a BoostaGrande for the signal boost and then into the A/B. That way the acoustic is a floor switch instead of having to use the vol control on the guitar. Cute, for now. Lot of cabling, tho'. And the Boosta is adding some gain, rather than vol, so that isn't really ideal. Kinda in the experimental stages yet.

Do you have the piezo signal going direct into a PA/mixer, into an "acoustic" amp or into your regular amp?  I know with the Ovation VXT, the piezo side going into a dedicated acoustic amp made the thing sound worlds better.  Not saying you have to, just curious if that's what you're doing.

I did run the piezo into a Roland KC60, closest thing I've got to an acoustic amp. I didn't really care for the tone - too much treble. I tried running it thru the small PA (playback) I have connected to the DAW, but the signal is so low it wasn't a good match. Currently I have the peizo going into an EQ pedal set with just a tad bit of add on the bass side, the treble set flat, vol up about 3-5db or so. Both signals feeding into the AC15. Now THAT works. I'll run it thru the PA sometime tomorrow just for grins. But it actually sounds pretty good with the current setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this thread, I own a 1999 tobacco SAE Millenium.. Which is a great guitar. I kept the original HRW's . I usually use only the neck PUP but I have played it with the Stereo cable , (thats what you need) , ring is the LR Baggs, tip are the humbuckers, ..In stereo I connected the piezo to the PA (s you noted, its needs a boost)  beautiful guitar..My guitar came with the HRW 's and  Rolls mixer .. Curious , what did you pay for it and what year is your beauty

thanks

Just caught this thread, I own a 1999 tobacco SAE Millenium.. Which is a great guitar. I kept the original HRW's . I usually use only the neck PUP but I have played it with the Stereo cable , (thats what you need) , ring is the LR Baggs, tip are the humbuckers, ..In stereo I connected the piezo to the PA (s you noted, its needs a boost)  beautiful guitar..My guitar came with the HRW 's and  Rolls mixer .. Curious , what did you pay for it and what year is your beauty

thanks

Got my SAE off the 'bay. Just a bit over $1k. Y2K model. Finally getting the hang of this guitar. Currently I'm running the piezo thru a Boss EQ7 for the vol boost. Works great!! I'm pulling the highs down just a tad with a slight bass boost. Really brings out the acoustic tone. HBs are Schallerst. But honestly, they sound pretty dandy in that smaller semi. Got pics of yours?

Jazzbo,

I remember that thread now. Very beautiful guitar you have there!! Very special with those block inlays, too. Mine seems to be somewhat of a mixed bag model, as well. The specs show mine as a flat back and laminate top. Yet I have an arched back and carved top - with dots. I'm wondering if they just hadn't settle on the exact specs for the different Millie's back then, since it should be first year production. Or, maybe second. Not sure when they actually started this model. But the name Millennium suggests it was newish in '99-'00. Anyone got the skinny on first year release for the Millie's?

Archived