Heritage Owners Club

My new H157 Part 3

GrandpaLarry

This is turning into a serious pain in the ass.

To recap: My new 157 has a problem in that the high E string too easily slips off the edge of the fretboard. I assumed that the nut was improperly cut: that it was too close to the edge of the fretboard.

The dealer from whom I bought it bent over backwards to fix the problem. He gave the guitar a complete set up which included a brand new bone nut.

Despite the new nut and adjustment of the roller bridge, moving the string further toward the middle, the problem persists. It appears as though the edge of some of the frets were cut at too steep and angle. I'm wondering if the fact that I play with my fingers rather than a pick exacerbates the problem?

The person at the shop who did the work, happens to be the son of the owner. He is also quite talented at working on guitars, but he's done all he can do. He is supposed to contact Heritage and see what they suggest.

I just hope I don't have to be without my new axe very long.

I don't think finger picking has anything to do with it.

Three possibilities come to mind:

1. You're very strong and enthusiastic with your technique (probably not it)

2. The strings are very light

3. Frets are inadequate

I've not had your problem with a Heritage but I have with others. It may need refretting.

Heavy with your fingers is most likely the culprit. I had a guitar that was a no tolerance for down pull on the high e. Just helped me hone in my technique in the end. You play it enough you'll notice that the problem goes away.... If you have huge hands it's a very common problem.. even if a fret was filed a little close it would only effect that area.. I only speak from experience on this subject. Get used to the guitar and how it plays and this problem will go away..

Re-freting ect is looking into it wayyyyyyy to deep. Just play it awhile and get used to it, Then the problem will be solved.

It's like getting a new car after driving your trade-in for the past ten years....... Takes some time to learn how the new one handles.... I gaurantee the guitar is perfectly fine..

It's like a very seasoned guitarist told me 20 years ago--- use your finger tips not your finger prints..... hope this helps...

It may be a problem with the fret edges. Can you post a closeup pic of the neck, especially in the problem area? Adjusting the nut cleared up the issue on my 157. Hopefully Heritage will get back with you quickly.

Also, light gauge strings will be more prone to slipping because of the lower tension. I use 10s on mine.

It may be a problem with the fret edges. Can you post a closeup pic of the neck, especially in the problem area? Adjusting the nut cleared up the issue on my 157. Hopefully Heritage will get back with you quickly.

Also, light gauge strings will be more prone to slipping because of the lower tension. I use 10s on mine.

The strings on all my electrics are 10's.

I'll post photos of the neck as soon as I have a spare minute or two.

I appreciate the input.

By the way, it's not my picking. I have no such trouble with my H535.

Deleted, see next post.

It is unlikely that the frets could be filed in such a way as to cause the sting to slide off the neck. If the nut and bridge are correct, it may be a different neck profile that you are not used to. I know that some guitars are more susceptible to this than others but as mentioned earlier, it is my technique in concert with the neck profile that I adjust to and have not had a persistent problem.

Best of luck. I'm sure it's frustrating but I'm also sure it can be worked out. Did the tech have the same problem?

There was another musician in the store when I was handed the guitar with the new nut installed. He's an exceptional picker, much better than I am, is used to thin neck guitars (I'm not) and uses a flat pick. The guitar exhibited the same issues when he picked.

I'm fully willing to admit that my ham-handed approach might be partially at fault. I also believe, however, that something ain't right with that neck.

I'm anxious to find out what the folks at Heritage suggest.

Archived