Heritage Owners Club

Welcome Everyone....Newbie to this Site

Blues_N_Rock

I am new to this site.  I got lucky and another forum site listed the address.  Hope to make many long time and new friends of fellow Heritage owners.  I am a 535 owner.  Great guitar...fine workmanship.  Couldn't afford the Gibby so I relied on the reocmmendations of others and give Heritage a try.  Good call.  The boys at Wolfe did me well.  The only challenge I face with this guitar (besides learning how to play) is having a better control with the volume knob.  it seems a bit touch sensitive for me.  The guitar came with the SD 59 PU.  I was orignially shopping for the Lovers.  Anyone has this electronics on the 535?  If so, did you ever compare it against the 59s?  Thanks all.

Most of the recent Heritages have come with WD volume and tone pots. The quality is ok but not outstanding.  Take it to a guitar tech and have  all parts/switchcraft  pots installed and your problems will be over.

Welcom BNR.  I've had good and bad luck with the pots in Heritages.  Some have a smooth taper, others are more like an on/off switch.  If it bothers you I would recomend some CTS pots from either RS Guitarworks or ACME Guitarworks. I haven't tried the '59s in a 535, but I can say the Seth Lovers sound awesome in a semi-hollow.  The '59s use an Alnico 5 magnet which tends to be a bright and punchy, the Seths use Alnico 2 which tends to be sweet and clear sounding.  Both are excellent pickups.

What does "WD" volume stand for?

Can anyone recommend a good tech in the Los Angeles region?  I am willing to pay the price for someone that has the experience and guarantee on working on this type of guitar.  I am a bit nervous when it comes to hollow bodies.  Solid bodies can take a bit more abuse but hollows are a bit more fragile.  Can you give me a general idea how much it would cost to install new pots (volume and tone)?  I am also planning on jumping the gun and have them install SD Seth Lover PU (bridge and neck) at the same time.  Any idea how much they charge to install the PUs?  Do you need to go to a Heritage approved tech (if there is such thing) to honor the warranty from Heritage and Wolfe?  Thanks

What does "WD" volume stand for?

Can anyone recommend a good tech in the Los Angeles region?  I am willing to pay the price for someone that has the experience and guarantee on working on this type of guitar.  I am a bit nervous when it comes to hollow bodies.  Solid bodies can take a bit more abuse but hollows are a bit more fragile.  Can you give me a general idea how much it would cost to install new pots (volume and tone)?  I am also planning on jumping the gun and have them install SD Seth Lover PU (bridge and neck) at the same time.  Any idea how much they charge to install the PUs?  Do you need to go to a Heritage approved tech (if there is such thing) to honor the warranty from Heritage and Wolfe?  Thanks

WD stands for WD music.

http://www.wdmusic.com/

As for techs in the LA area...

John Carruthers is up there in Santa Monica I believe.

There's also Don "Tone-Man" Butler.  I've had him do a number of minor mods for me - top notch all the way.

For fret work run, don't walk to Michale Tuttle at Best Frets. 

I'm sure others will chime in - I'm actually down in San Diego and do most of my own minor work, but send my stuff to Michael for fret work.

I've compared my friend's Seth Lover equipped 535 with my own SD '59 535.

The main difference I heard was that the SD's had more of that blues rock Eric Clapton Cream sound and the Lovers sounded more delicate. A bit more definition too, a bit more hifi maybe.

(I put an example on Sound Files elsewhere on this forum, so you can maybe judge my taste)

I did not think 'wow I must change my SD's because they give the 535 so much more'.

Welcome to the club, Blues_N_Rock! We're glad you found us!

I almost forgot--it's mandatory that you post a picture of your guitar. Otherwise, you'll be flogged with a nylon guitar strap!   ;D

Welecome ot the Club!  Out of curiosity, which site led you here?  I've never been a big fan of the SD 59 pups, but I couldn't tell you exactly why.  I guess they just sound generic or something.  But, I have a tin ear and play mostly unplugged so don't listen to me. ;D 

Welcome BnR!

Sweet looking H535 you've got there.

Your photo looks like a working musician's room...not a collector's museum.  :)

How do you like your Weber 2x10 extension speaker cabinet?  I'm also a Mark IV player and was considering a 2x10.

Welcome BnR!

Sweet looking H535 you've got there.

Your photo looks like a working musician's room...not a collector's museum.   :)

How do you like your Weber 2x10 extension speaker cabinet?  I'm also a Mark IV player and was considering a 2x10.

You got it right on the nose....not much of a collector.  Just like playing.

The Weber was a right investment.  I did not care much for the sound coming out of the Mesa.  So I went out and purchased the Bassman.  After that I purchased the Weber 2x10 Alnico.  Ran the cabinet through my Mesa and it hit the sound I wanted.  Hind sight is 20/20.  If I knew how well it would sound through this cabinet, more than likely, I would have defered the investment in the Bassman.  Maybe not.  But the cabinet is well made and the speakers sound great.

I like the color on the H535--is that ChestnutBurst?

I also noticed on the floor the music from "Smoke On the Water"--how does that guitar sound with hard rock music like Deep Purple?

Beautiful Heritage!  When you get your pickups and pots changed out be sure to have some good capacitors installed also. The Sprague or Hovland caps would be a good call. They're not very expensive and in combination with the PAF type Seth Lover pickups would complete that vintage tone.

I like the color on the H535--is that ChestnutBurst?

I also noticed on the floor the music from "Smoke On the Water"--how does that guitar sound with hard rock music like Deep Purple?

I believe you are correct.  I am not at home to verify what it read on the document that came with the guitar.

I haven't played any Deep Purple with this guitar.  BTW, very observant.  I used my SG for that song.  I played a few Albert King, SRV, and Cream material with this guitar.  Really bluesy and semi-mellow songs.

I love this guitar.  As stated earlier, the volume is very touchy.  A slight increase is astronomicaly louder.  Push it past 5 or 6 and there is only a slight noticeably difference.  I don't know if this is a log or linear pot, but it behaves like a log pot.

Beautiful Heritage!  When you get your pickups and pots changed out be sure to have some good capacitors installed also. The Sprague or Hovland caps would be a good call. They're not very expensive and in combination with the PAF type Seth Lover pickups would complete that vintage tone.

I have to remember that....thanks

Archived