Heritage Owners Club

Appreciation of a Fine Amp

So I brought home the Epi Valve Jr. tonight. I have not moddified it yet, but I realize it will need it. Even after plugging the V12 into the amp, it still is not the greatest sounding amp. When its turned up past twelve with a humbucker in the bridge, its decent. But it doesn't clean up very much and not very creamy when using the neck humbucker. However when I went back to my KBP810 Reverb Deluxe, I realized just how much I appreciate a very well built and (almost more important!) a great sounding amp. No offense to those who own the Epi VJ, it just not a KBP810 RD amp.

Thanks Brian!

No offense taken, and of course, it's not going to sound at all like the KBP 810 RD amp - two way different animals, with different tubes, in a different class.

The epi is a good practice amp, and a nice tube amp for beginners, or for someone who needs a tube amp, on the cheap. Pedals dress it up well.

I'll be curious to hear about the mods you do to your epi, and how all that turns out. I haven't done any mods on mine, as it sounds good as it is.

I'm curious why you needed the EPI if you've got the Reverb Deluxe? Just looking for something that can work at bedroom leels for practice?

It was super cheap. I don't need it, but I really do want a back up amp. I just don't need a backup amp. Plus with the mod kit, I kind of think it will be a fun amp to mess with.

It was super cheap. I don't need it, but I really do want a back up amp. I just don't need a backup amp. Plus with the mod kit, I kind of think it will be a fun amp to mess with.

Understood, everybody needs a backup. I bought one of those Little Lanilei's that Kidsmoke was recommending in part for that reason, and in part because if travel quite a bit and wanted one that could take with me. About a week after it arrived, my main amp fried a couple of circuits. Fortunately, I found a great tech locally who was able to fix it same day. Even so,it was a relief to have the the new one as a spare.

Guest HRB853370

So I brought home the Epi Valve Jr. tonight. I have not moddified it yet, but I realize it will need it. Even after plugging the V12 into the amp, it still is not the greatest sounding amp. When its turned up past twelve with a humbucker in the bridge, its decent. But it doesn't clean up very much and not very creamy when using the neck humbucker. However when I went back to my KBP810 Reverb Deluxe, I realized just how much I appreciate a very well built and (almost more important!) a great sounding amp. No offense to those who own the Epi VJ, it just not a KBP810 RD amp.

Thanks Brian!

Another paid political endorsement!

Another paid political endorsement!

Shhh! That's an inside business deal... He makes the amp, I Q&A them, then place subtle messages across the forum to encourage more orders....

I'm not just a spokesperson, I'm an unpaid endorser! B)

Thanks Brian!

I've been debating lately, if I ever get ahead of these damn doctor bills, I'd like to get kbp810 amp too, but I really want a H-150 also..DAMN G.A.S!! LOL

Blunote, what kind of amp was it, that fried?

It was a Blues Junior. I'd been getting some random crackling for a couple of months, then nothing but static.

A few hours and $120 bucks later, I had it back better than new.

I saw that amp, it was about the size of a tissue box. I did not hear it in use, but it looks like you could drop it down the stairs and still play it.

I won't be dropping it down any staircases -at least I hope not. This thing (Little Lanilei) weighs about 8 lbs, and is the size of a 6 pack. It's got a tube pre-amp and tube power stage that feeds into a solid state power amp -kind of like having a PA on board to further amplify the tube sound. It really surprises me how good the sound from it's 6 1/2 in driver can be when you figure out how to dial the thing in.

DB, if you get on of those regional jam sessions arranged and if I can make it, I'll bring it along.

Guest HRB853370

Shhh! That's an inside business deal... He makes the amp, I Q&A them, then place subtle messages across the forum to encourage more orders....

I'm not just a spokesperson, I'm an unpaid endorser! B)

Actually, I agree with the "not" so subtle messages statement!

this was a neat article and my wife loved it and agreed w/ the sentiment of the author abt respecting the family!..

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Guitar-Amplifier-for-Rock-Music

"As a general rule, guitar equipment is to be treated as if family members had a restraining order against it. It doesn't matter if people pay good money to have you assault their eardrums with your frenzied solos every weekend, nobody at home is going to want to hear it.......Mrs. Smith doesn't want to have Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" rattling windows and knocking pictures off the walls while she is entertaining her Saturday bridge club."

I play through a Vox VT50 (no backup!) Solid state, I know, but I really like it. Good power for a single 12. Wish it was a 2 X 12...but it does a nice job. If I quit buying gits, maybe I can get a nice tube version. Hmmm...yeah, that's gonna happen.

this was a neat article and my wife loved it and agreed w/ the sentiment of the author abt respecting the family!..

http://www.wikihow.c...-for-Rock-Music

"As a general rule, guitar equipment is to be treated as if family members had a restraining order against it. It doesn't matter if people pay good money to have you assault their eardrums with your frenzied solos every weekend, nobody at home is going to want to hear it.......Mrs. Smith doesn't want to have Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" rattling windows and knocking pictures off the walls while she is entertaining her Saturday bridge club."

I play through a Vox VT50 (no backup!) Solid state, I know, but I really like it. Good power for a single 12. Wish it was a 2 X 12...but it does a nice job. If I quit buying gits, maybe I can get a nice tube version. Hmmm...yeah, that's gonna happen.

My guitar tech actually wants an empty 4x12 straight cab to go below his 4x12 cab just for the look of a full stack on stage.

Archived