Heritage Owners Club

Neck with dot inlays

Thundersteel

Do you like necks with dot inlays or not?  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I like them!
    • No! They're hideous!
    • It doesn't matter to me.
    • What's a dot inlay?

Yeah, I voted "doesn't matter" because it really depends on the guitar as a whole package.  I think I've only had one or two electrics that didn't have dots.  I have an Ovation Elite that has funky-cool triangle-type inlays that are a take-off of the ones in my Adamas II.  Other than those and the Millennium right now, I'd have to say it's dots all the way down.

"Yes" as an option might have been nice.

Actually, when I started the poll, there was a "yes" answer. I don't know what happened--it must have gotten corrupted. It has been fixed.

On guitars with more fancy features (binding, flamey tops, etc.), I prefer equally fancy inlays.  Dots are cool on some gits, and it does not matter as much when playing Strats, Teles, or your basic 335/535, or even 175/575 archtops.  But if you go uptown with the rest of your guitar, nothing beats the more visible abalone or pearl inlays for my taste.

Interestingly enough, some of the classiest archtops and a few semi-hollows I've seen have NO inlays.  Not only can that give an incredibly elegant look, especially with a slick ebony fretboard, but it can also force the player to really learn where the notes are up the neck.  What a concept?  :)

Archived