Heritage Owners Club

Peavey AmpKit and AmpKit Link Review

For over a year now, I've been using my Line 6 Pocket Pod as a practice and learning tool. I've attempted to use it in front of my amp as a multi-effects pedal, but I've since realized its not practical for that. Perhaps a direct to a PA in a pinch, but not a replacement for real effects pedals. It has a delay, reverb, flange, and chorus effects, but only two of the effects can be used at once. I have not been able to successfully record with it either. With a few friends using their iPad and Peavey's Amp Kit, they've been replacing their multi-effect pedals and learning tools.

I purchased the AmpKit Link for $25 and downloaded Peavey's AmpKit app and Apple's Amplitube software. Both are free applications that are simplified versions of sofware you can purchase. So far, the tone sounds great through my iPod and I was actually able to record anything I played. The AmpKit software has backing tracks and a few other features. I've found when you record, it records a dry signal in which you can change the amp, simulated microphone, and any effects over your recording to really change the sound. Very cool feature, except when you download the recording to your computer, it does not include the back track on the recording. So your sound is essentially as if you were just jamming on your amp with nothing else.

But that's not why I wanted the AmpKit. One of the owners I know, is a gigging musician that sometimes he just plugs his multi-effects unit into a PA. The iPad is much easier solution for him to set up and operate then some of the other tools he has been using. I thought with the iPod, I could not only practice and learn new material, but I could also plug this into the front end of my amp.

There are two things I found problematic with using an iPod and the AmpKit. First, you can only practice with a song on your iPod/iPad, not to a Youtube video or another application on the iPod/iPad. Second problem is, after maybe an hour, my battery on the iPod was down to about 25%. Not ideal for a live gigging situation if you're playing more than one set.

Bottom line is, the AmpKit is not a substitution for my Pocket Pod. I'm keeping the Pod and returning the AmpKit. Unfortunately, I spent $20 on iTunes to get an additional bundled amp and effects setup. Cannot return that. Maybe if/when I get an iPad, I'll give it another whirl...

Archived