Heritage Owners Club

Well, I crapped up the finish on the Roland.

barrymclark

So... I was finally trying to get that sticker goo off the Roland Cube. You know those stickers they put on the amps for in the store so you can see how everything works?

Anyways, when I removed that some time ago, I never got rid of all that adhesive that was left behind. Got most but not all.

When I went to get the rest off today... some of the black rubbed off. :(

It doesn't look horrible but there is a definite scour mark on the top.

I thought.... there is one thing about this amp that has always bothered me: it's none more black look. I mean... it is just so damn black. haha.

I thought maybe wrapping the center section in a blonde tolex would help give it a bit of excitement a'la Egnater or the Fender Hot Rods I have been seeing.

What do you think?

Just play through it unless you are looking for something to keep you busy.

Playing through it has never been... and will continue to not be the issue. ;)

But if my mind set was who cares how I think it looks so long as it sounds good, I wouldn't have posted this thread. Sounding good is not its problem. Not at all.

I personally like keeping my instruments and gear in as good a shape as possible. So... when I damaged the finish and exposed the MDF (where if it gets wet... I have an entiretly different problem that simply slapping tolex on won't fix.) I decided this might be a good opportunity to dress it up a bit more to my liking while warding off a potentially very serious problem.

I honestly don't see the problem in that.

Playing through it has never been... and will continue to not be the issue. ;)

But if my mind set was who cares how I think it looks so long as it sounds good, I wouldn't have posted this thread. Sounding good is not its problem. Not at all.

I personally like keeping my instruments and gear in as good a shape as possible. So... when I damaged the finish and exposed the MDF (where if it gets wet... I have an entiretly different problem that simply slapping tolex on won't fix.) I decided this might be a good opportunity to dress it up a bit more to my liking while warding off a potentially very serious problem.

I honestly don't see the problem in that.

Sorry wasn't implying any problem, didn't understand the implications..thought it was just a cosmetic issue ..

After thoroughly looking over the cab, for the most part, wrapping a tolex panel around it would be no problem... except for one area. This amp is more or less stapled together. The back panel is also fixed in the same way. The problem is, where the back panel meets the floor of the box, there is a tiny, TINY ledge there. Maybe 1/16" of an inch. Probably not much deeper than the tolex is thick.

I would assume this is not nearly enough ledge for the tolex to really get ahold of. So... I am a bit torn as to what to do.

However, in that same inspection, I think I may not have actually gone into the MDF but a textured coating they appled before paint. So... this may actually be just a cosmetic issue.

Ah, gotcha. No worries. :)

No problem.

If it is stapled together and if you do refinish it, in the process maybe you could add some screws. Drill some small pilot holes and add some screws. If it is cosmetic, the risks may outweigh the potential rewards. I'm used to working on older design amps myself. I've dripped contact cement on one project and shrugged my shoulders when it didn't clean off well but I do obsess on circuitry.

BTY what is MDF? Thought it was new fangled ss circuitry at first mention in your reply, is it the actual cabinet material?

No problem.

If it is stapled together and if you do refinish it, in the process maybe you could add some screws. Drill some small pilot holes and add some screws. If it is cosmetic, the risks may outweigh the potential rewards. I'm used to working on older design amps myself. I've dripped contact cement on one project and shrugged my shoulders when it didn't clean off well but I do obsess on circuitry.

BTY what is MDF? Thought it was new fangled ss circuitry at first mention in your reply, is it the actual cabinet material?

Yea. It is medium density fiberboard. The stuff they make the backs of clipboards out of. There are a number of cabinet makers doing this now from what I understand.

I am certainly concerned that the risks due outweight the rewards. It does appear to be cosmetic the more I look at it. Sharpie nor shoe polishh will adhere to the finish. Even after 24 hours of curing it still rubs right off.

I had thought about just painting it... but I am not sure even paint will stick. It might... but it might not. If it doesn't, it could make a very, very minor eyesore into the loss of an eye. haha.

Yea. It is medium density fiberboard. The stuff they make the backs of clipboards out of. There are a number of cabinet makers doing this now from what I understand.

I am certainly concerned that the risks due outweight the rewards. It does appear to be cosmetic the more I look at it. Sharpie nor shoe polishh will adhere to the finish. Even after 24 hours of curing it still rubs right off.

I had thought about just painting it... but I am not sure even paint will stick. It might... but it might not. If it doesn't, it could make a very, very minor eyesore into the loss of an eye. haha.

Maybe a sealer then paint? Guys here http://music-electronics-forum.com/ have helped me in the past with amp issues, tips etc. Lots of pro techs who share their knowledge. Might be worth a try.

Maybe a sealer then paint? Guys here http://music-electronics-forum.com/ have helped me in the past with amp issues, tips etc. Lots of pro techs who share their knowledge. Might be worth a try.

Oh yeah! I had forgot about that forum and I am already registered. Thanks for the reminder!

I put something up there. Thanks again!

Archived