Heritage Owners Club

Help with Heritage Lobo

pegleg32

I just got a used Heritage Lobo amp. Seems like a good amp so far. But I need some help with the tubes. I'm not sure I have the reverb tube just right.

I have basically two rows of tubes:

5e4, 6v6, 6v6, 12at7

12ax7, 12ax7, 12ax7

I placed the 12at7 next to the reverb connection to the tank. Does that sound correct to you Lobo owners?

Incidently, this is a loud sucker.

Thanks for any help.

Could be there was more than one tube layout, but here's how my tube chart lays them out:

GZ34 6V6 6V6

12AX7 12AX7 12AX7 12AT7

The 12AT7 is on the far right looking at the amp from the back...

Ron

Hmmm, very interesting Ron. My 3 AX tubes are in a row towards the front of the amp, while my AT tube is about 2" further back and more or less in a row with the power tubes but a bit further to the right (from the back). The AT tube is right next to where the leads to the reverb tank plug in, which is why I figured it would be the most likely place for it.

The story (as I recall it) is that Holland made the first Lobos for Jay. When Holland morphed into Heritage, they transitioned to all new designs, but used up the old Holland parts and designs. I think my Lobo may be a transition Heritage made to older Holland specs and parts. But the bottom line is that there is likely more than one Lobo configuration out there. Sorry I wasn't more help.

The story (as I recall it) is that Holland made the first Lobos for Jay. When Holland morphed into Heritage, they transitioned to all new designs, but used up the old Holland parts and designs. I think my Lobo may be a transition Heritage made to older Holland specs and parts. But the bottom line is that there is likely more than one Lobo configuration out there. Sorry I wasn't more help.

I appreciate the contribution Ron, that is history I did not know about the amp.

Here's a note I got from Jay when I received mine (used) and also had a question about the tube layout:

"If you look at the back of the amp, from right to left, the tubes are named V1 through V7. V1 through V4 are preamp tubes. V5 and V6 are output tubes. V7 is the rectifier tube. The output tubes are 6V6s, and the rectifier tube is a 5AR4."

Pegleg, mine seems to have the same tube layout as yours. The rectifier and power tubes are all in a row on the left side (looking at the rear). The pre-amps tubes are all in a row a little further back in. The, I assume, reverb driver tube is off by itself next to a transformer (choke?, power?, reverb?) and where the reverb tank plugs in. Oddly, I plugged a 12ax7 in my reverb position. I'll have to do some tube swapping an see what I hear. I do find the reverb doesn't come on as quick a typical Fender reverb, but I thought that was just the taper of the pot as there seems to be plenty of reverb on tap.

Great amps! Love both buckers and singles coils and stays nice and tight when driven hard - something I find many vintage Fenders don't.

Here's a note I got from Jay when I received mine (used) and also had a question about the tube layout:

"If you look at the back of the amp, from right to left, the tubes are named V1 through V7. V1 through V4 are preamp tubes. V5 and V6 are output tubes. V7 is the rectifier tube. The output tubes are 6V6s, and the rectifier tube is a 5AR4."

Pegleg, mine seems to have the same tube layout as yours. The rectifier and power tubes are all in a row on the left side (looking at the rear). The pre-amps tubes are all in a row a little further back in. The, I assume, reverb driver tube is off by itself next to a transformer (choke?, power?, reverb?) and where the reverb tank plugs in. Oddly, I plugged a 12ax7 in my reverb position. I'll have to do some tube swapping an see what I hear. I do find the reverb doesn't come on as quick a typical Fender reverb, but I thought that was just the taper of the pot as there seems to be plenty of reverb on tap.

Great amps! Love both buckers and singles coils and stays nice and tight when driven hard - something I find many vintage Fenders don't.

Thanks G-man, I suspect I got it in the right spot, and I agree you might try a 12AT7 in the reverb position. I know from experience that both will work, but there must be some reason that the 12AT7 is usually associated with the reverb, maybe one of the amp guys can help out here.

When I recevied the amp I was pleased to find a couple of Phillips 12AX7 tubes. Decided to pull those for future use and put it Electro Harmonix tubes.

My only complaints with the amp so far is that it seems way too bass heavy, so I have to dial that out, and the volume takes a huge jump from just before 2 to right on 2. I think the bass problem may be partly due to my crappy hearing, others might not notice it. I just don't hear high pitches like I used to.

My only complaints with the amp so far is that it seems way too bass heavy, so I have to dial that out, and the volume takes a huge jump from just before 2 to right on 2. ...

that seems to be very Fender-like behavior. none of the PaulC-designed amps i've tried do that. they're all very gradual & linear...so maybe it's a rebadged Holland? just a thought.

i tend to dial out bass controls usually anyway. depends on the amp & the guitar & the room...

what kind of speaker's in it? i've always wanted to try one.

If your Lobo is too bassy, you might start off by re-EQ-ing your dials back to 12 o'clock. Then start increasing/decreasing bass, treble, middle until you dial in a better balance. I had a similar issue with my Patriot. These are very sensitive amps with incredibly linear tone pots...and that's a good thing!

If you are playing an archtop into your Lobo it might need a bit more of the bass and mid dialed back.

Also check to see which speaker it has as RJ suggested.

Enjoy!

that seems to be very Fender-like behavior. none of the PaulC-designed amps i've tried do that. they're all very gradual & linear...so maybe it's a rebadged Holland? just a thought.

i tend to dial out bass controls usually anyway. depends on the amp & the guitar & the room...

what kind of speaker's in it? i've always wanted to try one.

It came with an Eminence Legend in it but I don't think that was stock. I took it out to look it over and it had a slight ding in the cone (probably wouldn't hurt the sound) and I replaced it with the WGS "retro 30" that came in my Redplate amp.

I just finished playing it for about an hour and I'm pretty impressed. I think it has a better sound for me than the Redplate and not too far removed from my Carr Rambler.

Indidentally, I'm getting real gas for a Two Rock Studio 35. Maybe Santa Clause will come through (not).

If your Lobo is too bassy, you might start off by re-EQ-ing your dials back to 12 o'clock. Then start increasing/decreasing bass, treble, middle until you dial in a better balance. I had a similar issue with my Patriot. These are very sensitive amps with incredibly linear tone pots...and that's a good thing!

If you are playing an archtop into your Lobo it might need a bit more of the bass and mid dialed back.

Also check to see which speaker it has as RJ suggested.

Enjoy!

Hey Gitfiddler, there are a number of issues with the bass that really don't have much to do with the amp. First my hearing as mentioned above, and second, for the last several months I have refused to play anything but the neck pickup. However, I think you offer some good advice, I always set up my amps at the opposite side of the room where I practice so they aren't right in my ear and I can turn them up a bit, of course that makes it hard to play around with the controls much. I think if I use my Line6 G50 remote I can then move in to adjust and they walk away to listen to the changes from a distance. Thanks for the advice.

It came with an Eminence Legend in it but I don't think that was stock. I took it out to look it over and it had a slight ding in the cone (probably wouldn't hurt the sound) and I replaced it with the WGS "retro 30" that came in my Redplate amp.

I just finished playing it for about an hour and I'm pretty impressed. I think it has a better sound for me than the Redplate and not too far removed from my Carr Rambler.

Indidentally, I'm getting real gas for a Two Rock Studio 35. Maybe Santa Clause will come through (not).

imho a speaker swap is the 2nd biggest thing that'll affect the sound (1st being the basic circuit stuff). maybe something like an EQ pedal would help?...i've been meaning to try one someofthesedays

(3rd probably pickup choice, 4th being new strings, 5th being...)

i've been fortunate enough to meet Bill & Joe a couple times, owned a Custom Sig Reverb, have a friend with a buncha Krinards, another who's a dealer. so i can relate to the new PBG two rocks...

:icon_santa:

imho a speaker swap is the 2nd biggest thing that'll affect the sound (1st being the basic circuit stuff). maybe something like an EQ pedal would help?...i've been meaning to try one someofthesedays

(3rd probably pickup choice, 4th being new strings, 5th being...)

i've been fortunate enough to meet Bill & Joe a couple times, owned a Custom Sig Reverb, have a friend with a buncha Krinards, another who's a dealer. so i can relate to the new PBG two rocks...

:icon_santa:

I believe the Custom Sig is what Matt Schofield plays and I love his sound. Did you like your Custom Sig? Any comparisons?

I agree on speakers. I had an Eminence Cannabis Rex that I sold in my Blues Jr, that I wish I had back to put in this amp. May have to buy another. My fav speakers of the moment are the Weber Vintage Anico speakers

I believe the Custom Sig is what Matt Schofield plays and I love his sound. Did you like your Custom Sig? Any comparisons?

mine was a CRS v1 i got from Bill & Joe at a guitar show in San Rafael. it had belonged to one of the guys in String Cheese Incident (Michael Kang, i think) & Bill updated it w/v2 parts, so we called it v1.5. it was a great amp no doubt. but sometime later that year i traded it to some maniac for the only Juke head every built & the first Chapin Strata-houla. :icon_rendeer: he had the option of trading back, but no-o-o. & i was (& am) pleased.

sidenote: another friend is a Matt S. nut & will soon get a Chapin Strata-houla just like Matt's '62, except heritage red. can't wait to try that out...

I agree on speakers. I had an Eminence Cannabis Rex that I sold in my Blues Jr, that I wish I had back to put in this amp. May have to buy another. My fav speakers of the moment are the Weber Vintage Anico speakers

i just helped a bud with some speaker comparisons & swap into a Swart AST combo (yikes, wudda PITA). one of em was the Eminence Red Fang. that's a neat AlNiCo, too. i've got a couple Weber AlNiCos, Michigan 12" & 15". love 'em. think the 12" needs some help, tho, now. it'll have to keep. i mighta wiped it out with a Komet 60 :tongue3: ...anyway...

mine was a CRS v1 i got from Bill & Joe at a guitar show in San Rafael. it had belonged to one of the guys in String Cheese Incident (Michael Kang, i think) & Bill updated it w/v2 parts, so we called it v1.5. it was a great amp no doubt. but sometime later that year i traded it to some maniac for the only Juke head every built & the first Chapin Strata-houla. :icon_rendeer: he had the option of trading back, but no-o-o. & i was (& am) pleased.

sidenote: another friend is a Matt S. nut & will soon get a Chapin Strata-houla just like Matt's '62, except heritage red. can't wait to try that out...

Other than the one I saw Matt playing, I've never even seen a Strata-houla. Chapin doesn't have one on their website currently. I would love to get one of those puppies, or at least try one out. Maybe you can provide a report and opinion when you see it.

Other than the one I saw Matt playing, I've never even seen a Strata-houla. Chapin doesn't have one on their website currently. I would love to get one of those puppies, or at least try one out. Maybe you can provide a report and opinion when you see it.

well here's mine - let's see...Earvana nut, maple & madagascar rosewood neck glued in to alder body, Red Rhodes Velvet Hammer pickups. Mann-made bridge, gold plexi mirror pickguard...and just to veer back onto topic, i'll bet it'd sound great in a Heritage Lobo amp ;)

(you're right, Bill's website is sadly out of date...a source of snickering & pointing at him whenever he stops by :) )

well here's mine - let's see...Earvana nut, maple & madagascar rosewood neck glued in to alder body, Red Rhodes Velvet Hammer pickups. Mann-made bridge, gold plexi mirror pickguard...and just to veer back onto topic, i'll bet it'd sound great in a Heritage Lobo amp ;)(you're right, Bill's website is sadly out of date...a source of snickering & pointing at him whenever he stops by :) )

Now that is a really nice looking strat. I suspect it would just sound wonderful through a Lobo with just a little hair on it. How are we going to arrange that?

Now that is a really nice looking strat. I suspect it would just sound wonderful through a Lobo with just a little hair on it. How are we going to arrange that?

indeed!

btw, just stumbled across a very interesting new Two-Rock 15w this a.m., $1300, it seems: http://www.two-rock.com/products/single-channel-classic/exo-15.html

There's been buzz over at TGP about this one. I think it's butt fugly and the Scofield clips sound horrible, hey but that's just me.

yeah, saw it there. am an admirer but not a Sco fan & i like the amp's look. wonder where the handle is, for transport. but i look at that Ibanez switch settings, look at the amp settings, extrapolate & imaginate a little bit, & i perceive a winner. esp. if it's as low as $1300. Sco did a nice job of picking out single notes & complexy chords up & down the neck...

'course imho a Juke Coda combo @ $1600 is preferred, but that's me & what makes horse races...

i might even prefer Don's Heritage Lobo to the Exo for feel & sound...

Archived