Heritage Owners Club

The new PUP's are in.. Vive la difference!!

pushover

Alright.. my wife is a native frog speaker, and I can barely speak english, let alone any other language..  so that's where the faux French came from..

Finished the install of the 59's yesterday. Everything went smooth. The lead on the neck PUP was much shorter than I expected (considering it was the length they provide by default) and there wasn't much lead left over, but there was enough so long as I don't want to pull the PuP out of the cavity again.. Putting the durn PUP rings was harder than I thought, and I'm glad I did it before putting the PUP into the cavity.

At the moment, I'm still kinda super critical of every single sound that gets produced, but I've got to admit I think its an improvement. It's not like wildly different, but I'd adjusted the heck out of it, the poles on the base were sticking out, and towards the end the Schaller PUP was like sunken into tha cavilty to get it further from the strings, but the old adage is forget what it looks like an trust your ears. With the new PUP it's just basically sitting there at  what you'd consider to be a typical distance from the strings, with the poles set at factory heights.

Overall the notes seem more defined and clearer, especially with the neck PUP which was my main source of complaint with the Schallers. There's also, right off, seems to be a better volume balance across the different strings though I might want to do a few minor adjustments. There is still a noticable sound difference between this guitar and my other LP with Burstbuckers, but its definately not muddy and dull like before. Overall I just need to play the durn thing and stop trying to listen to every minute sound detail. Sofar I've just played it clean, so it's time to just start playing the guitar again and mix things up some. It's great to have my guitar back though :) Even though I have other guitars to play, it's not the same. This is definately my favorite.

I'll try and post a before and after comparison. I have recorded the before, so I'll have to record the after.. So stay tuned...

Yeh, always fun to complete an upgrade successfully.  Good idea to have recorded a before version.  Wish I'd thought of that when I swapped the pus in my 535 for seth lovers.  That swap was an immediate 'yeh, this is it' realization from this first chord.  I've 59s in the 150 and I like them, but came w/em so don't have a compare on that guitar.  I do have an LP and will say that while they're different sounding guitars, the difference between them played acoustically is pretty much the same when amplified.  The 150 is brighter unplugged and plugged in.  The LP makes a nice sound, too, they're just different.

Enjoy the new 'guitar'  :)

got to love it when you "do it yourself".

great job, after the first couple of weeks you won't listen for the f-up any more...

just trust you did it correctly, and eventually you won't think about it...

Archived