Heritage Owners Club

Ack... I may need to buy... *GASP*... a jazz box...

PacerX

I know, I know...

I'd post this in an ad under "Want to Buy", but I'm researching a bit here first...

Besides, there's something wrong in the universe if I'm looking for a jazz box...

Well, my wifey and I are going to start playing together some more.  She has a nice voice, which I never realized in 7 years of marriage, mostly because she never sang for me.

Anyway, I would like to have some recommendations on a Heritage jazz-box type model, or a semi hollow that can get nice jazzy-type tones.

I would like to keep the costs down, so super-flamey (I wonder if that's a word... anyhoo...) and gold hardware and uber inlays and all that bling isn't necessary.  Just good tone for accompanying an fine-looking alto.

How's about used?  Ebay gives me the willies... so what could I expect to pay?

Hmmm... what kind of amp do you jazz guys use anyway?  I have a Rocktron Vendetta that does "Global Thermonuclear Annihilation" type tones with the greatest of ease, an Epiphone Valve Junior that is just the hella-coolest thing you could ever buy for $130, and a Line6 PODxt Live, but don't really know what jazz guys look for in a guitar and amp combination.

I know, I know...

I'd post this in an ad under "Want to Buy", but I'm researching a bit here first...

Besides, there's something wrong in the universe if I'm looking for a jazz box...

Well, my wifey and I are going to start playing together some more.  She has a nice voice, which I never realized in 7 years of marriage, mostly because she never sang for me.

Anyway, I would like to have some recommendations on a Heritage jazz-box type model, or a semi hollow that can get nice jazzy-type tones.

I would like to keep the costs down, so super-flamey (I wonder if that's a word... anyhoo...) and gold hardware and uber inlays and all that bling isn't necessary.  Just good tone for accompanying an fine-looking alto.

How's about used?  Ebay gives me the willies... so what could I expect to pay?

Hmmm... what kind of amp do you jazz guys use anyway?  I have a Rocktron Vendetta that does "Global Thermonuclear Annihilation" type tones with the greatest of ease, an Epiphone Valve Junior that is just the hella-coolest thing you could ever buy for $130, and a Line6 PODxt Live, but don't really know what jazz guys look for in a guitar and amp combination.

Well, once you get into it, you'll find that there are as many versions of "good jazz guitar tone" as there are jazz guitar  players (like in rock/distortion, I suppose). My own view is that the string gauge and low action is much more important than what kind of guitar. The reason is that (especially as an acompanist) you need to use chord grips that sound like crap if some of the voices are out of tune (because strings are too light) or dont sound loud enough (if the action prevents from getting fretting cleanly).

The idea that you need a archtop (never mind an expensive one) is hype IMHO, although many jazz guitarists are fanatical about owning a high quality archtop. listen to Bickert, waknius, strong, adam rogers, early jim hall for guys who play on teles/les paul/ etc. I love my tele for jazz. But an archtop is nice to play especially unamplified.  I have a heritage Johnny smith which I like. I think the 2 main issues you should decide on if you decide to go archtop are 1. routed v floating pups, 2. carved v laminate. typicaly routed/laminate is more electric and more appropriate for louder combos, floating/carved is more complex sounding and more acoustic. The latter might make more sense for a guitar/vocal duo, the former for a band with 4 or more members.

I use the standard jazz guitarist issue Acoustic image amp/raezer's edge cabinet. Its the best amp/speaker combo Ive used, although I'm not a big gear head. Lots of guys swear by various Fender twin models. Another standard jazz amp is the Evans amp. Polytones are also liked, although I was never happy with mine.  Peavey transtube Bandit is often mentioned as a budget alternative.  The thing that sells me on the clarus/RE is that the amp weighs 9 lbs and the cab 20 lbs, so its a "1 trip from the car" rig, with no lingering backaches, a bonus as old age creeps up.

Paul K.

soundclick

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=240975

youtube

http://www.youtube.com/TopologyPaul

Tell us a little more about what you're doing. Are you a fingerstyle player or pick? Do you prefer medium scale 24.75 inch or longer 25.5? How loud are you going to be playing and will it be a group or just you and your wife?

I use the standard jazz guitarist issue Acoustic image amp/raezer's edge cabinet. Its the best amp/speaker combo Ive used, although I'm not a big gear head. Lots of guys swear by various Fender twin models. Another standard jazz amp is the Evans amp. Polytones are also liked, although I was never happy with mine.  Peavey transtube Bandit is often mentioned as a budget alternative.  The thing that sells me on the clarus/RE is that the amp weighs 9 lbs and the cab 20 lbs, so its a "1 trip from the car" rig, with no lingering backaches, a bonus as old age creeps up.

Have you compared the Clarus/RE to, say, a JC120?  I know the 120s are boat anchors, but they used to be the gold standard of "jazz amps" IIRC (but I may not).  I've always thought about getting one, but they almost never come up for sale around here, and I'd imagine they're a fortune to ship.

Have you compared the Clarus/RE to, say, a JC120?  I know the 120s are boat anchors, but they used to be the gold standard of "jazz amps" IIRC (but I may not).  I've always thought about getting one, but they almost never come up for sale around here, and I'd imagine they're a fortune to ship.

its been many years since I played through one, but IIRC, the JC120 always suffered from having  a lot of hiss. 

Paul K.

I'd recommend a 575, which you can find used for about $1300-1400.  It's got all the jazzy vibe you could ever need, and can also adapt well to other styles.  In my opinion, the 575 is the most under-priced of the Heritage guitars out there--a real bargain.  Fancy jazz amps are fine, but you can't really go wrong with a Fender tube amp.  I have a Blues Junior that is loud enough and very easy to carry around.  You should be able to find one of those used for under $300.

Tell us a little more about what you're doing. Are you a fingerstyle player or pick? Do you prefer medium scale 24.75 inch or longer 25.5? How loud are you going to be playing and will it be a group or just you and your wife?

K, here goes:

Fingerstyle vs. pick vs. hybrid - interchangeable on my part, whatever works best for the song.

Scale length - I don't really have a preference there in this case.  24.75" are a little more difficult for me to play than 25.5" due to the size of my hands, but it's a minor annoyance and in this case wouldn't apply.

Volume - Just me and my wife.  Got the "blow your head off" amplifier covered for the rock/metal/shred stuff if need be with my half stack, but the clean tone of that amp and the weight of the thing aren't really appropriate for the venues/style we're looking at.

I'm thinking I could get away with a relatively low-wattage tube amplifier - basically a small combo.

Guitar-wise, what I tend to like are wide and flat necks.  My real issue with H-150 type necks is that they aren't wide enough across the nut.  If I can get a flat radius at the same time, life is even better.

Get a 575. They are cheap and good for jazz, rock and blues. As far as an amp for small venues, I use an old Fender Princeton--from the early 70's. They are fairly cheap and you can find one just about anywhere. If you want more volume, stick a Celestion Vintage 10 in it. 

Archived