Heritage Owners Club

Care and Feeding of Heritage Wood Pickguards...

Gitfiddler

My 150 Ultra came with a wood pickguard. I like the way it looks and it dosn't seem to be getting scratched up. If the finish starts to wear off, I'll hit it with a little lacquer and buff it out after it dries. Nitrocellulose lacquer is easy to repair.

If someday it breaks, I'll buy another.

Some players simply play around the pickguard, resting their fingers directly onto the upper bout of the guitar. Man, that is so wrong! It obviously will wear down the finish on the guitar's top.

In fact, if you play long enough with that terrible form, you might have to cover up the wear spot on your guitar...like your name or something! Geez, some guys just don't understand what a good pickguard is for!

nqext0ibvlczcli.jpg

nlf0mkbwq4z70fk7.jpg

"My idea was to use a strip of the screen protector for a smartphone,…"

Or you could use one of those clear plastic sheets that flamenco guitar players use to protect the top of their guitars from damage.

It really wouldn't be hard to refinish a Heritage pickguard with nitro lacquer if it was wearing out. Simple because the top is level making sanding easy. And the whole guard can be removed, so masking the guitar wouldn't be neccesary.

Archived