Heritage Owners Club

"Best" years for Heritage?

guitarjump

This is a noob question, and please accept my apologies if this has been discussed to death. I was wondering if there are years that are especially good (or bad) for Heritage guitars. I am most interested in the LP- styles, like H-150. I know, there are good and less good guitars for all years, but I am curious if there were factors that influenced production at any time that were significant.

Thanks!

I own 6 Heritages ranging from '98 to present '08.

I believe in terms of finish quality & playability, unquestionably the present guitars is by far the best.

Tone is always subjective. Not trying to skip around the tone question, but you can find some exceptional sounding guitars from any year from Heritage.

But for fit, finish, and playability now is the time, IMHO!

I think that discounting the normal variation among individual guitars (you can always find not-so-good, good and great examples of any given make/model, not just Heritage), the current production of solid body guitars are probably more consistent.  If I were going after jazz boxes, I would look at older models, because they tend to sound better once the tops open up, much like an acoustic.  Which isn't surprising, given that they are acoustic in a sense.

I always chuckle when people ask, is that a good year for XXXXX?  IMHO it always get's down the individual instrument - there are no good or bad years, just good or bad instruments.  That said, I think the factory set ups improved dramatically when they started using the Plek machine a few years back - not perfect, but much, much better.

I always chuckle when people ask, is that a good year for XXXXX?  IMHO it always get's down the individual instrument - there are no good or bad years, just good or bad instruments.  That said, I think the factory set ups improved dramatically when they started using the Plek machine a few years back - not perfect, but much, much better.

I agree about better setups now.

I also agree about individual differences in tone of different guitars.

I also know, for a fact, that one of Vince's goals buying into the company was to increase the quality control over finish & cosmetics. Don't get me wrong with a handmade guitar from a medium size company if you really hunt for it you will see sanding marks, file marks, ect.

IMHO, Vince has greatly increase the QC over the cosmetic issues since coming on board!

I don't think there are any differences in build quality. I have two goldtops. One H-140 1986 and one H-150 2006. The H-140 was perfectly setup when I got it. The H-150 needed  some work with the nut. The finish seems to be equal.

There are no "good or not so good years or guitars" when it comes to Heritage.

Are ya kiddin'?

These are handmade guitars, some of (if not THE) best in the world. Period.

I've played 'em all, all brands and models, and Heritage is right at the top along with Tom Anderson, Hamer Custom Shop, PRS Private Stock, and the likes.

Actually, Heritage is but a Custom Shop, that's all they are!

I have the chance to regularly play various guitars of all kinds, but every time I pick up my H150 it's like openin' a bottle of 1964 Barolo wine, and they don't come any better than that, lemme tell ya!

It's not the only one, ok, but the Barolo is not the only wine either, it's just that they don't call it "the King of wines and the wine of King's" foe nuthin'... 8)

An Heritage is a-l-w-a-y-s a keeper!

I always thought that the mahogany from 1992 was a good year. Rustic, woodsy, aromatic, full and slightly tangy tone as it passes through my speaker pallete. Goes well with a tube amp that has been warming up for an afternoon outdoor or evening indoor gig. Just MHO. But then again I have always been a "wood snob".... ;D

I always thought that the mahogany from 1992 was a good year. Rustic, woodsy, aromatic, full and slightly tangy tone as it passes through my speaker pallete. Goes well with a tube amp that has been warming up for an afternoon outdoor or evening indoor gig. Just MHO. But then again I have always been a "wood snob".... ;D

Yeah, chocolatey and robust, my friend...

There are no "good or not so good years or guitars" when it comes to Heritage.

Are ya kiddin'?

These are handmade guitars, some of (if not THE) best in the world. Period.

So what are the "good years" then?  Like I said it always gets down the individual instrument, not the year it was made.

I've played 'em all, all brands and models, and Heritage is right at the top along with Tom Anderson, Hamer Custom Shop, PRS Private Stock, and the likes.

Mmmmm...   :rolleyes:

I love my Heritages I do I do, but out of the box they don't compare to the Andersons, PRSs, Groshs, Suhrs I've owned.  My current numero uno axe is a Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic.  It has flawlessly low action with no buzzing anywhere, and tone and sustain for days.  If there's a flaw on the guitar I can't find it.  In fact I've owned 3 Hollow Drop Top Classics, two Cobras and a Classic and not a one had a flaw to be found.  My current number one 24 3/4" scale geetar is a Don Grosh Set Neck that is just spectacular.  It's lightweight, with incredible resonance and sustain, and built like the proverbial brick shit house. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my two 535s, and my H-137, but they all needed some extra attention (fret and/or nut work) to play there best.  The above guitars came from the factory ready to rock!

Actually, Heritage is but a Custom Shop, that's all they are!

Can't argue there - they are a custom shop.  I've ordered some custom guitars from them that were just barely more expensive than the standard models.  There is no "custom shop" charge like there is with the G word.

I have the chance to regularly play various guitars of all kinds, but every time I pick up my H150 it's like openin' a bottle of 1964 Barolo wine, and they don't come any better than that, lemme tell ya!

It's not the only one, ok, but the Barolo is not the only wine either, it's just that they don't call it "the King of wines and the wine of King's" foe nuthin'... 8)

An Heritage is a-l-w-a-y-s a keeper!

Ok, we get that you love your Heritages!!!  ;D  All of mine have been keepers as well - with some tweaks - but then tastes change.  Who'd have ever thought that I'd start to like those darned 25 3/4" scale bolt on necked abominations with maple fretboards - but I do! 

So what are the "good years" then?  Like I said it always gets down the individual instrument, not the year it was made.

Mmmmm...   :rolleyes:

I love my Heritages I do I do, but out of the box they don't compare to the Andersons, PRSs, Groshs, Suhrs I've owned.  My current numero uno axe is a Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic.  It has flawlessly low action with no buzzing anywhere, and tone and sustain for days.  If there's a flaw on the guitar I can't find it.  In fact I've owned 3 Hollow Drop Top Classics, two Cobras and a Classic and not a one had a flaw to be found.  My current number one 24 3/4" scale geetar is a Don Grosh Set Neck that is just spectacular.  It's lightweight, with incredible resonance and sustain, and built like the proverbial brick shit house. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my two 535s, and my H-137, but they all needed some extra attention (fret and/or nut work) to play there best.  The above guitars came from the factory ready to rock!

Can't argue there - they are a custom shop.  I've ordered some custom guitars from them that were just barely more expensive than the standard models.  There is no "custom shop" charge like there is with the G word.

Ok, we get that you love your Heritages!!!  ;D  All of mine have been keepers as well - with some tweaks - but then tastes change.  Who'd have ever thought that I'd start to like those darned 25 3/4" scale bolt on necked abominations with maple fretboards - but I do! 

What I meant was that they're all equally good; whereas with Gibson or Fender the year could, up to an extent, make a difference, maybe as they tightened or "slacked" quality control, with Heritage I've noticed that, while "kinda organic" the quality is more or less consistent.

I think Heritage differs from the other (excellent) makers like Anderson cuz they're "the true Gibson".

It doesn't exactly take a genious to realize what my favourite guitar is (my "Forum monicker" is a giveaway...!) and I think my H150 is the best Les Paul I can get. Period.

I still enjoy playing other guitars, includin' my own Gibson Les Paul's, and lately I've been really impressed by an awesome Framus Panther, truly a fantastic guitar, but my H150 is A LES PAUL, warts an' all!

It's the closest I can get the the real deal, the guitars that all our favourite "Paul" players played on those classic recordings (Clapton, Page, Duane, early Jeff,...) cuz it is the real deal.

Maybe it's like Michelle Pfeiffer; not absolutely 100% perfect, but man does she have "something"! :P

Teri Garr? 

Have you seen her lately?  Time hasn't been good to her. Saw her on Letterman the other day--didn't recognize her at first. She was a hottie when she was younger, though.

Have you seen her lately? Time hasn't been good to her. Saw her on Letterman the other day--didn't recognize her at first. She was a hottie when she was younger, though.

No, I haven't.  But, I've been on a "Young Frankenstein" kick for two days here at work.  I cannot stop singing "Puttin' on the Ritz" or employing various bits of YF dialogue at opportune moments.  LOL.

I cannot stop singing "Puttin' on the Ritz"

I've seen that schtick 10,000 times...and I still  herniate myself every time I watch it!!!  One of filmdom's Great comedic moments!!                    :laughing4:

I've seen that schtick 10,000 times...and I still  herniate myself every time I watch it!!!  One of filmdom's Great comedic moments!!                    :laughing4:

Definitely...he goes from the stumbling heel-to-toe thing to tap dancing.  Riotously funny.  What started this was I had an impromptu meeting in the hall with a woman whose last name is "Falkenstein."  I decided to "report back" to my new boss man what we had discussed but the first thing that came out of my mouth was "My name.  It is pronounced 'frahn-ken-steen'" for some reason.  At the time I didn't even make the connection between her last name (unspoken) and the YF thing.  It took about five minutes of him asking me why I was quoting Gene Wilder and the two of us trading lines before he said, "Oh, you know why?  Her name is ..." and that just made it funnier.  Now I can't stop.  

Frau Blucher!

Archived