Heritage Owners Club

Henry Johnson signature and spruce top H575s

Hi,

Has anyone owned or played the Henry Johnson signature hollow body by Heritage.  I'm looking for a H575 but saw the Henry Johnson model on Jay Wolf's website and it looked like it may be one very fine guitar indeed. I would be very interested in any personal accounts of how this model sounds and feels.  Also has anyone played a H575 with an x braced spruce top?  Does it sound particularly different to a H575 with a maple top?

Look forward to hearing from you

Z

heritageback.jpg

heritageback.jpg_thumb

Hello Zydecosoultrain~  I haven't laid hands on a Henry Johnson, but a good friend of mine has a Spruce top H-575.  It also has an ebony fretboard with NO inlays, and a single SD in the neck. 

It sounds closer to an L5 than an H-575, but with a tighter, more compressed tone.  Very sweet sounding instrument.  This was a custom ordered guitar and may sound a bit different from other 575's that come with two pickups and rosewood boards. 

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Let us know what you decide.

Thanks Tulk1 and Gitfiddler for the helpful comments,

I've never played a spruce top Heritage and the opportunity is unlikely to arise anytime soon so your comments were particularly valuable.

It does sound like the spruce top is a good option for approaching a warm jazz tone. "L5 with a tighter, more compressed tone" sounds almost perfect to me.  I'm sure a spruce top H575 would be far more affordable than a signature guitar.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as I continue my research,

Z

I've played four of them with solid spruce top and still prefer the standard (carved maple top) model. The spruce top sounds good, but if you want to play in a live situation, the sound is "too" acoustic and prone to feedback. I find the standard model is much more versatile and has more sustain and warmth to the tone.

Archived