Heritage Owners Club

New (old) 535 is here... Questions.. Questions..

pushover

The guitar arrived today, so here are my initial impressions.. I have house guests so I can't actually play with it...  >:(  Grrrr..

Overall it looks in pretty good shape, with a few unadvertised dings, but nothing significant.. the frets look pretty much like new, but dull from not being played.. I immediately noticed a few oddities though, and thought I'd ask the wisdom of the site.

The Serial number is on 2 lines

W

USA

It doesn't say anything about Kalamazoo on the Headstock. It says only USA? (BTW that's not the real Serial #.. I'm not near the guitar right now.. so I made something up)

Anyone ever see this kind of thing before regarding the serial # area? Part of me smells perhaps a partial refinish, or touch up, but like I said i haven't had the time to really check yet, and on initial inspection I can't see any sign of anything, except some other small nicks on the back of the headstock.

There is also no sign of anything inside sound holes are that indicates the model.. Every other Heritage I've seen has a certificate inside that tells the model, but nothing here?? Hmmm.. Also the year is supposedly a W and the binding is very very yellow.. It might be because it was cream to begin with, but I'm kinda surpised at the significant aged look (not a bad thing..)

Anyway.. it's gonna need a good setup and some strings, so I'll reserve any judgment till I've had a good chance look it over properly. That.. and pix.. probably won't happen till after the weekend when the fish (oops.. I mean houseguests) leave..

In the mean time.. any suggestions about the serial # thingy?

I'll post more l8tr..

They did the serial like that for a while in 2006.  We've had a couple of threads about it here (well, in Bay Watch, I guess) and there are members of the HOC with W-series guitars that are just like that.  I think 2006 was the year of the fire, wasn't it?

Anyway.. it's gonna need a good setup and some strings, so I'll reserve any judgment till I've had a good chance look it over properly. That.. and pix.. probably won't happen till after the weekend when the fish (oops.. I mean houseguests) leave..

I'll post more l8tr..

Thanks for the info, I do feel better about the serial number.. Like I said I didn't see any signs of repairs or anything else that would cause any kind of refinishing anywhere..

Before posting I did do a quick site search and couldn't find anything about serial numbers with the letters on the top, but then again.. I didn't really know what I was searching for..  ??? As for the fire..  :angryfire: I didn't know about the fire.. Perhaps that's why chose to make this one a translucent red, so you can see the flamed top  :rolleyes:

As for the pix.. Pppfft.. Everyone step back.. take a deep breath.. and READ the fine print (quoted above and) in the original post..

Nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with the durn thing!!  >:(

Nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with the durn thing!! >:(

I dunno, "waiting for UPS to show up because your new toy has been Out For Delivery since 5:30a" gives it a run for its money. :wink:

Archived