Heritage Owners Club

H-535 Mods

Den

Own a fine H-535, dark Burnt Amber, with a nice wide neck...it's the primary reason I bought this beauty.

Changed the hardware to gold, added some LOLLAR IMPERIAL pups

The dealer, Blue Note in Berkekey CA liked it so much, he is changing all of his orders on Heritage guitars with burnt amber with gold hardware.

The idea was inspired by the Gretsch Country Gentleman guitar and the WMU school colors. It's "THE BRONCO" axe.

Also added new tone pots (300 Hz) to expand the tone.

wishing Heritage all the best in the future.

"Kalamazoo Kid"

Den 

That would be 300K pots, not 300 Hz.  It's generally considered that 500K is the way to go with humbuckers.  I have all of my humbucker equipped guitars fitted with 500k pots - it really opens up the tone.  What was in you 535 before you swapped the pots?  My Heritage's have all had 500k pots, just not the best quality. 

Own a fine H-535, dark Burnt Amber, with a nice wide neck...it's the primary reason I bought this beauty.

Welcome to the club! However,   :uwp:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please show us your axe!

Den, Welcome to the 'Club'!

The first Heritage gits I ever saw were at Blue Note Music.  The (sometimes eccentric, but very knowledgeable) owner, Jim has done most of my mods including 500k pots and pickup swaps (Schaler to Gibson '57 finally to a Kent Armstrong) on my Sweet 16.

We'd sure like to see your special H535.  Post pics when you can.

Hi Folks,

I just joined the Heritage Owners Club a few minutes ago, and it's great to hear about these great guitars.  I may have the dubious distinction of being the least skilled player in the world who owns a Heritage guitar.  I've been a fan of Gibson and Heritage guitars for several years, and I purchased a gently-owned walnut-finish 2004 H-535 about a year ago.  Oddly enough, I play my beater Ibanez electric-acoustic most of the time, and treat my stock H-535 more as a work of art than as something to play.  I'm sure most good guitar players would say it's heresy for me to say that, that the purpose of a fine guitar is to make music!  I'll have to work on that.

Thanks for the good information on the H-535.

I may have the dubious distinction of being the least skilled player in the world who owns a Heritage guitar.

Don't bet on it!  :D

Welcome to the club! Remember to post some pics of your Heritage!

I may have the dubious distinction of being the least skilled player in the world who owns a Heritage guitar.

Sorry, that place is taken.  I've never owned an electric guitar but I have an H-535 hidden in a box

in a closet.  T minus 3 weeks or so, and counting...

In the meantime, welcome !

Paul P

Don't bet on it!  :D

Welcome to the club! Remember to post some pics of your Heritage!

There seems to be competition out there! Count me in on the race.

btw: I agree with the statement about the Heritage being a piece of art. As such, owning one is a delight. Whether you play it badly, superbly or not at all!

Regards. Karl S

Oops! Wrong quote in the my last post  :-[. Of course I wanted to quote "I may have the dubious distinction of being the least skilled player in the world who owns a Heritage guitar". Oh well....

Karl S

A lot of good responses in a short period of time!  KarlS, I think you're out of the running as the worst Heritage player ... you posted your last message at 1:48 am, so you must be a musician!

The little icon next to my name in my original posting is an actual photo of my H-535, but I'll try to figure out this Jetsons-like technology so I can post one or two more.  (Help!  Jane!  Stop this crazy thing!)

KalamaZoo

Just got one of my H535's back from the shop. The guitar came with Seth Lovers, which I usually like but for some reason sounded really thin in this guitar. Had a DiMarzio Air Norton put in the neck and a DiMarzio Mo' Jo put in the bridge. Also had a coil tap put on the bridge pick-up and a phase switch. MAN WHAT A DIFFERANCE! The neck pickup is fat and warm with great jazz tones, the bridge pickup screams and the two together are extremelly well balance for a really smooth tone. The coil tap adds a nice Fenderish tone, reminds me of the old Coronados, and the phase switch gives a really cool and unique sound. HIGHLY recommend these pickups. This may become my main guitar.

th_Heritage535006.jpg

th_Heritage535006.jpg_thumb

th_Heritage535008.jpg

th_Heritage535008.jpg_thumb

th_Heritage535010.jpg

th_Heritage535010.jpg_thumb

My 2003 535 came with HRW's. and Grovers and the weird Schaller bridge.

in chronological order  my  Mods:

Phase 1) put in a Tone Pros bridge/ & Aluminum tailpiece.

Phase 2) replaced palstc nut with a non bleached bone nut. Plastic!  WTF?

Phase 3) put in Sperzel locking tuners (made in the USA!! ) Grovers gone. they sucked.

(extra holes in the peg head sucks too however!)

Phase 4) WCR Crossroads neck/ Godwood bridge pickups with RS electronics kit w/CTS 500K pots and

Jensen caps.

"Sounds cool, but I'd be real hesitant to add holes. Can that mod be performed using push/pull pots?"

Hey skydog, yes you can use push/pull pots. I went with the switches for two reasons, first I really don't care for push/pulls I personally find them awkward. Second if you go to the Heritage website you'll see that they offer the switches in their VIP set-up in the same spot. Before I had my guy do the work he printed out pictures off of the Heritage website so he could get them in the same spot as the factory does it. So I could almost say it was a "factory type" mod. Used the guitar Saturday night on a gig and the guitar sounded great. We play everything from straight ahead jazz to blues to dance music to reggae to classic rock and the guitar shined on all duties. My drummer even commented that it was one of the nicest guitars he's heard in awhile.

Heritage4

Archived