Heritage Owners Club

Marshall 1974 Clone Review

DetroitBlues

I recently picked up on a trade, a Marshall 18W clone. I think some of you remember my thread and clips on it. Earlier this week, our very own KBP810 did a little Master Volume upgrade on the amp. Its a fantastic mod despite the result not being what I hoped for. This particular amp has some great overdrive tones when the volume is up, unfortunately it's really loud when you turn it up like that. I talked it over with Brian, and he agreed to perform the mod. However the rich overdriven tones I was looking for didn't happen. But something unique occurred with this mod. The mod does give me a little dirt, but more then anything, it gives me thicker fat tone out of my strat. Wampler makes a pedal called the Ecstasy Overdrive. Anthony from Steviesnacks uses that pedal like a fat switch to thicken up his strat without making it muddy.

This modification on the amp has a very welcome and similar effect. I still need a tube screamer, but the result is outstanding. I will gig with it tonight to continue my review.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it will work for you. While I hope it gives you what you want, something tells me you'll be coming back to the Blues Junior.

How much is the Wampler pedal? I tried to Google it, but couldn't find anyone quickly that carried it.

I have a Wampler Ecstasy pedal it's a bit spendy, but it really sounds great with my Strat through my old low watt Gibby amp..it seems to give it a nice bite, but you still keep the "Stratty" tone..if that makes any sense..probably not cuz I'm from West Virginia..By the way the Wampler was around $150 I think..

Good to hear from you, Scott! I've yet to drop $200 on ANY one pedal, but they sure do sound good. I just wonder HOW much different than the Fulltone OCD I already have.

thanks

buddy..I'm not sure..A lot of people say overdrive is overdrive..I've heard many good things about the OCD's, but the only one I have personal experience with is the Wampler..

Archived