Heritage Owners Club

Amp kits?

Trouble

I've been thinking seriously about trying to fit a tube amp kit into a solidstate cab I have. Since this will be my first build and is primarily for a learning experience, I don't want to spend a premium price on it. I've checked a few different sites, all of them are little more than I want to spend on what is basically an experiment for me.

I did find an 18 watt marshall clone in the 400 range, every other place is higher than that. Anybody know any good cheap amp kits. I've checked Mojotone, Ceira, Weber and Tube Depot. Anyplace else?

I know a couple people have done some kits here, was hoping to benefit from their research.

I bought a 5F1 kit from Boothill Amps a while ago. I intended to install it in a Fender Frontman cabinet. Eventually I realized that it was a project that I would never get to so I sent it to Brian (kbp810) to build. He informed me that the Frontman chassis would not work for the kit. I ended up spending an additional $200 on a Champ cabinet. The amp sounds awesome. But I'm glad I had Brian build it. It was way above my skill level. But it cost me more than I intended to spend. Still, I'm glad that I have a nice hand wired amp.

The 5E3 I built came from Tube Amp Doctor in Germany - probably even more expensive than the US ones you've found already! ;)

Good luck with your search - it's great fun building one, especially with the threat of electrocution hanging over you in the latter stages :) I had a lot of fun building my cab too.

d0051007.jpg

Look for a kit with nice iron and parts, documentation that you can work with, and a proven track record of success. Plenty of that originating here in US, Sounds like a potential sleeper no name amp. Research carefully, do not look for lowest price, look for best value over a lifespan of enjoyment.

Thanks guys. I've been looking around and now I'm thinking maybe a Bassman circuit, in a head cab. I don't know yet, next week it may be a JCM 800.

A friend of mine owns GDS amplification and Guytron He was one of the guys who formed the 18 watt discussion group and reverse engineered the then discontinued 1974X Marshall amp. His kits may cost a little more but they come with step by step instructions that he's put together. Graydon also provides technical support.

http://gdsamps.com/?page_id=6

Archived