Heritage Owners Club

Both My heritages are in the shop getting a bone upgrade!!!

Mikenov

The best way to learn is to buy a few blanks and practice shaping them. A disk sander works well. Be prepared for the dentist office tooth grinding smell. You can buy an inexpensive correctly sized nut that you can use for a pattern or use your current one. The blanks that I use already have a wedge shape to them. It's just a matter of finding the right thickness at the bottom so it fits snug. Before you remove your nut you will probably need to cut the lacquer with an sharp exacto blade to keep it from chipping the finish. Also cut along the line where the fingerboard meets the nut. As far as cutting the slots, it's best to purchase a set of files from stewmac or someplace that sells them. I made my own files long ago and I finish the bottom of the slots with properly sized drill bits. I just use the drill bits like a file. works great. The angle is important! Use a "small amount of glue" (REALLY SMALL) on the new nut as you may want to take it off someday. I use alphatic resin glue. Thats the yellow stuff you use on wood. I use "Graphitall" grease in the slots.

Wish I could think of some other items to mention.

I would say it's pretty major surgery to swap out a nut, so make sure it is something you really want to take on. If you are able to do it yourself it's empowering and it can save you some coin. My 157 needed it. I really did not

like the string spacing/location of the E strings. They were too close to the edge of the neck for my clumsy fingers. Oh man it's great now though! Hope that helps.  :)

Here is a link to stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts,_saddles/i-5350.html

Got the 150 back.. Man it did the job. And the set up is REAL nice too. I will be back to see this tech for sure. I got to play it about 20 minutes at the shop. Sweet low action and no tuning issues even with new strings. jammed it a bit when I got home, no tuning issues again. I am a left handed righty player and a big part of my style is multistring half step plus bends. Haven't been able to do that with this guitar since its purchase without retuning after every song. This finally fixed that problem. I am very happy I invested in this work. If only I would have listened to people's advice about a year ago.. never too late though.

An amazing transformation, no?  I have a bud who's a terrific luthier.  A few months ago, I took my thirty-five-year-old Les Paul to him for a set up.  Don't play that guitar out much.  It's my oldest stick.  Just pick it up in the music room once in a while...tons of sentimental value, and it's a killer Paul, though it weighs a lot.  Anyway, a new bone nut and good set up, re-fret and fretboard dress,  plus a new set of wires...I can't put that thing down!  Happy to hear your new set up is satisfying, Mike!  Hope things are settling in at the house!  Get a nap whenever you can!

Thank for the update Mike.

I have a real bone nut on one of my other electrics and it sounds, stays in tune, and LOOKS wonderful.

I replaced the nuts on my Taylors with bone and it was a huge transformation.

I wonder why Heritage doesn't use real bone? Shortage of supply? Environmental concerns? Fear of the preception of Animal rights groups on using bone?

Everyone hear know how much I love my Heritages, but the nuts they cut are horrible. And if the PLEK machine was cutting them, then keep it broken!

I just got the cherrybust 150 back. We are waiting on the parts for the goldie . I can deffinately HEAR the difference with the bone nut. Its a big difference. The guitar sounds allot better set up right too. The tech told me when I picked it up he thought this was set up for slide the action was so high. It feels allot easier to play, the sound is better, I can hear the difference the bone is making to in the sustain of the notes, and of course, it stays in tune. That is #1 and real makes this a player. I am very happy with the upgrade. It was the best investment I have made on this guitar for sure. I am a believer.

;D

After further playing I think I pinpointed what FELT so different about the guitar after the bone nut. I can feel the sustain throughout the entire neck. Its huge difference. I can also hear the vibrations when I play it unplugged much more. It really has made a bigger difference that I thought it would. I am pleasantly suprised.  :) *** the good set up could be a difference maker too.

Archived