Heritage Owners Club

Why doesn't make a SG style guitar?

Heritage525

I've always preferred the '70s SGs with the more deeply inset neck and longer horns, both from a looks and sound perspective.  The old-style ones have great upper fret access, but there just isn't a lot of neck/body contact, and notes on the upper frets have no "pop" to them.  And then there's the whole "neck falling off" thing...   :laugh:

Frank Marino had a real problem on his hands when he modified his old '60s SG for three single-coil pickups.  The extra routing basically made the guitar fall apart, and he had to epoxy it all back together.  I've heard it in concert, and it still sounds great, though.  Of course, he could make any guitar sound great.

Personally, I would rather have an H-110 with the extended upper horn than either a 170 or a Heritage SG.  But I realize that's just my preference.

Frank Marino is awesome...his album "juggernaut"  is incredible!!! ;D

All points well taken. They could always go the route that Carvin did and make them with the neck through design.

There's precedent for that.  Tony Iommi's custom-made John Birch SGs in the '70s were neckthru, I believe.  The SG design lends itself to neckthru construction.  Not very traditional, though.

Pro-fusion's mention of Iommi's guitars made me curious about another custom "SG:" Frank Zappa's "Baby Snakes."  Check out this picture, esp. from the stop back.  Looks to me like it could be the tenon of a neck through --but then it doesn't seem to continue between stop and bridge. 

I know the guitar was custom made and not a Gibson, even though it said "Gibson" on the headstock, but I can't find anything that explains how it was constructed, or pictures other than front views. 

Probably not a neck through, but I thought for a second I had made a cool discovery. ( ...for me at least; clearly, I need a life)

width=293 height=480http://www.oxygene8.com/pix/frank_Bart2.jpg[/img]

Pro-fusion:

Check this out ...Dweezil, playing the SG and explaining how the onboard preamp and other stuff influenced Zappa's tone ...

http://guitarplayertv.com/index.html?chann...l/dweezilsnakes

Holy cow!  That might be the most electronics ever crammed into one guitar.  I don't see how all those primitive '70s circuits could have fit inside that skinny SG body. 

He must have been putting that same axe through a more robust amplifier later in the '70s, when his tone got bigger than it was on Apostrophe and Overnite Sensation etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this will help.    We use to make a 170 in the late 80's, but we discontinued them.

Too bad.  Nah, just kidding we are bringing it back as a second edition, just sent the first one up to finish a few weeks ago.

I hope you guys will all order one.

width=600 height=231http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t63/FrogAngel55/1989_The_Heritage_H-170CM_F27102.jpg[/img]

Katie,

Nice axe, but I wish Heritage would quit installing those ugly plastic pickguards on their guitars--they cover up so much of that beautiful wood! Maybe they should just leave them in the case for the owner to install it if they want to.  Just a thought...

I hope this will help.    We use to make a 170 in the late 80's, but we discontinued them.

Too bad.  Nah, just kidding we are bringing it back as a second edition, just sent the first one up to finish a few weeks ago.

I hope you guys will all order one.

width=600 height=231http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t63/FrogAngel55/1989_The_Heritage_H-170CM_F27102.jpg[/img]

Sign me up for one. I love the body shape - like Malcolm Young's Gretsch. So when do you think they'll be available?

bilbal

Well . . . . . I did the dirty! :-*  I just got a 2005 Gibson Custom Shop SG VOS, and man is it sweet!  It is slightly reliced (Murphy aging process?) and plays, feels and sounds sweet!  My first Gibby . . . . .  I gotta say, Gibson's custom shop is right on with this guitar.  Feels just like a Heritage! :P

Well . . . . . I did the dirty! :-*  I just got a 2005 Gibson Custom Shop SG VOS, and man is it sweet!  It is slightly reliced (Murphy aging process?) and plays, feels and sounds sweet!  My first Gibby . . . . .  I gotta say, Gibson's custom shop is right on with this guitar.  Feels just like a Heritage! :P

Well.....................I don't see any pics ! Let's go....give it up.

Archived