Heritage Owners Club

Buffing out the area where the bridge used to be located

LaVonne

I picked up my new (to me) 2004 Sweet 16 on Wednesday.  It is a fabulous guitar and I'll post a pic when I have one.  I do have a question.  The guitar was in serious need of a setup.  The bridge must have shifted soon after the guitar was originally purchased.  Its now in the right place but I have an area where the finish is a bit lighter do to the to aging (not a problem).  That area also is a bit dull with a few scratches. I'm really fussy about my instruments.  So is it practical to buff out this area to at least get rid of the scratches and if so what should I use? 

I just love playing this guitar.

Thanks

LaVonne~

Try using Virtuoso Cleaner on the entire guitar with a little extra on the bridge area of the top.  Then apply a light coat of Virtuoso Polish.  They are available at most Guitar Centers and are highly regarded.

I do not recommend any aggressive buffing.  Leave that for the professionals.  Just use a soft cloth (diapers are my favorite) and rub in a circular motion until the original luster returns.

Good luck and enjoy your Sweet 16!  They are wonderful instruments.

I know it can be done. When I had my Sweet 16 retro fitted with an HRW, the bridge had some serious scratches where the former owner didn't loosing the strings before sliding the bridge.

I asked Ren if they could buff it out, now it's like new!

Archived