Heritage Owners Club

Amp Advice Please

Keith7940236

I'm interested in adding a solid state amp to the fold and am interested in opinions and advice.

Any thoughts on:

Clarus II with Raezer's Edge

Jazzkat

Henriksen JazzAmp

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith

I own both an Acoustic Image Clarus 2R/Raezers Edge Twin 8 rig, and a Jazzkat Twinkat. Love'm both. Get tons of tone compliments regardless of which one i am playing through. I use the AI Clarus/Raezers Edge as my main gigging rig and the Jazzkat as a backup and for jam sessions.

the two big questions for you are: What guitars are you going to be playing and what style of music. What are you looking for tonally?

Paired with the right guitar they are both excellent, but if i had to pick one i'd go with the AI Clarus and Raezers Edge. Amazing portability and flexibility, and super transparency with plenty of tone shaping available to suit the room, or to adjust between guitars. the Raezers Edge Twin 8 is super warm and a little darker. I used to use a Stealth 10, but switched to the Twin 8 for that subtle difference. the Stealth 10 is also an excellent choice. Purely personal taste. Can't go wrong with either. Acoustic Image quality is unsurpassed. I like on board reverb so i don't have to cary a pedal, and the AI effect is very good. I couple of years ago a saw Pat Martino playing through and AI- Raezers Edge rig.

If you want a more combo amp rather than head/cab, the JazzKat is very, very good, also very portable. I went with that instead of Henriksen purely to get the bigger sounding 2x10 and the tube preamp. it was also a great choice. nice big warm sound. plenty of power for just about any situation, but still a portable combo. Built like a tank. the reverb is good and natural but the decay can be a little abrupt at the very end in the way it tails off, but does not quite get all the way home. Very subtle and hard to notice, especially live when you are getting reverb from the room anyway. In that case you cant detect it at all. It has never been an issue.

Both have second channels that can be used for a mic or a second instrument. comes in very handy when there is no PA in the house.I have not played the single speaker jazzkat versions or the Henriksen.

I hope that helps. feel free to stay in touch if you want any additional info on these two.

Tad

Archived