Heritage Owners Club

Question for harmonica players: What's best mic for harp?

Number8

I like the Shure green bullet. I had good luck with it so far. Dropped it a few times and it keeps on going. I've got a Madcat mic and never really bonded with it. It is too bright for my taste.

My two cents worth.

I like the Shure green bullet. I had good luck with it so far. Dropped it a few times and it keeps on going. I've got a Madcat mic and never really bonded with it. It is too bright for my taste.

My two cents worth.

That valuable feedback, thanks. I read the same thing about the madcat being bright.

don't buy a new mic. The green bullets etc that you find now have TOTALLY different elements and dynamics than they used to.

Your best beat is to go on ebay and buy a mic with an old magnetic element if you like dirty, warm sounds and a crystal element if you like clean, sharp sounds.

http://greenbulletmics.com/DATING_the_ELEMENTS.html

(i have a bullet mic with a 99B86 shure element in it that sounds ridiculous...I bought it for $150 off ebay)

Microphone Elements
The element or cartridge of any microphone is what picks up the sound, and delivers the signal, its the critical working part of the mic that gives it's tonal characteristics. Click on each link to hear a sample of the different mic elements. All the bullet elements are installed in a Shure 520 shell, played clean into a mixing desk. All of the bullet mic elements are discontinued and only available second hand. However they are popular with harmonica players and with good reason. Most of the dynamic element microphones are still available from stores.

• Astatic MC151 Crystal element was used in Shure JT30, Hohner (original) Blues Blaster & CAD mics - clean, biting tone but will break up nicely when compressed. These elements have a shelf life which is shortened by hard knocks and/or extreme temperature changes. One of the tricks with this mic is its rated at 5 MegaOhms, this means a lot of todays high impedance gear (guitar amps and effects) won't always handle it properly if you find its sounding thin, trebley and lacking bass, you'll probably need to change something in your chain, get a preamp that can handle it, or if you plug it straight into your amp, get it modified. The modern Hohner Blues Blaster have a completely different element which is made in China.

• Astatic Ceramic MC127 element came with the Astatic JT-30C. It's similar to the Astatic Crystal but with a warmer tone since the top end response is lower. Like crystals these have a shelf life but apparently a bit sturdier.

• Shure CR/Controlled reluctance element has a rich dark ballsy tone, with plenty of distortion with a good compressed cup. Great sound, just watch your amp settings as there can be a tendancy to get too muddy.

• Shure CM/Controlled magnetic element are VERY similar in tone to the CR element but have a different name. They have higher mid range response, a bit less bass end, take a bit more work to get them to distort giving it a bark and more cutting tone than CR element. These were first made in USA which for the most part were consistently good quality, and used in various Shure bullet mics. Later Shure CM elements were made in Mexico, which varied in quality, sold in the Shure "Green Bullet" 520D. In addition, some of the Mexican CM element models were designed for balanced low impedance balanced signal. Despite CM elements being discontinued they're easy to buy second hand, and make for a great work horse mic. The modern Shure 520DX has a considerably weaker dynamic element with half the frequency response.

• Dynamic cartridges: a lot of modern mics use different dynamic cartridges, and have a wide range of tonal qualities depending on the model. Examples are the Shure SM57, SM58, 545, PE54, 55SH & modern Green Bullet 520DX. Also the Shaker MadCat and Shaker Dynamic.
    In my experience, Shaker mics and the Shure 520DX have a weak output. The 520DX also has a less frequency response range than any of the bullet elements mentioned above, and as a result muffled and weak. The Shure 545 & PE54's can be wired to high impedance for a very hot signal not unlike the bullet mic elements listed above, making them very versatile mics.

Detroit, ask him if his green bullet mics use modern elements or if they have the older elements in them. I find that a lot of harp players use a modern mic, but replace the element with an older one (usually Shure).

Edit: People argue these things alot. it's kind of like solid state vs. tube for amps.

this is what my harp player told me.

I use a modern Shure 520DX Green Bullet, made in Mexico not China.
However, on my wish list would be my Bullet with a vintage MC151
element (black), or a old school Astatic JT30 with a volume pot and the
same element or a 99H86-330 element. Listed below
is my arsenal...

Shure 520DX Green Bullet

Shure 533SA w/Volume Pot

Bottle O' Blues Shaker Mic

Electrovoice 926

Homemade Telephone Mic

I would note that if your friend is looking at a mic purely for
tone, he may be on the wrong path. Although a good mic and the correct
amp co-ordination may help in getting the sound he is looking for, but
tone is more about technique than with equipment.
I have spent a lot of time and money learning this the hard way. And,
at least for me, it's a ongoing process.

Bottle O' Blues Shaker Mic

I have one of these, not bad for a cheap dynamic mic.

and what your harp guy says about technic is sssooo true. once you get a nice airtight cup consistently you will have an awesome tone, pretty much guaranteed.

To quote my favorite harp player, Big Walter "Shakey" Horton, on how gets such an awesomely powerful sound... "it's all abou the hands"

Archived