Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Wiring Problems.

Anyone had wiring problems with their Heritages ? First up was my 140 (1986). The pots worked the wrong way for me. Everything came on between 1 & 3,and very little after that.Very difficult to use.Problem solved with new pots., when I swapped the Schaller pups for a pair of Seymour '59's. Problem 2 was on my 575 (1988) I thought the barrel jack was packing up,until I poked my finger through the 'F' hole,and it all started working again.Took the electrics out,to discover a very weak solder joint between the pup wiring & the connecting phono lead.I'm surprised it lasted 20 odd years.All fixed now,but a couple of silly mistakes.Shouldn't happen on guitars of this quality.

post-1702-0-88802200-1367426169_thumb.jpg

I bought all of my Heritages used and many were rewired when I got them. I recently rewired my 150P. I think it had the stock electronics in it before. I was surprised at how sloppy the wiring was. I rebuilt the harness with new pots. I also re potted the stock Schallers because I thought I was getting some popping noises out of them. Things are much quieter now. It was a huge improvement.

First up was my 140 (1986). The pots worked the wrong way for me. Everything came on between 1 & 3,and very little after that.Very difficult to use.Problem solved with new pots., when I swapped the Schaller pups for a pair of Seymour '59's.

That sounds like it was wired with right handed pots wired left handed.

The "all or nothing" effect happens on left handed guitars that are wired left handed but using right handed pots .. the result : the pots act more like on / off switches with a very sudden change in a narrow arc with little or no change after that.

I've had a couple of lefty guitars like that, had them wired right handed and all was back to normal.

Archived