Heritage Owners Club

H-150: Odd *internal* headstock noise?

jamison162

I've been noticing an odd noise when putting slight pressure on the headstock (vibrato, re-stringing, truss-rod adjustment, etc.).  If you put any slight backand-forth pressure on your headstock, do you hear anything, or is it solid?

It almost sound like wood splitting/wood grain noise, but I don't think it is.  Maybe I'm hearing the truss rod internally? 

Anyone know what I'm talking about here?  Just wanna make sure nothing is amiss.  Everything looks 100%.

Tuner bushings loose?

Nope, definitely in the neck.  I hear it at the tr cover, nut.  Actually that seems to be where it's coming from but as I move my ear down the neck, it seems to be getting louder.  I bet it's just the truss rod, internally.  I'll check it out more when I get home.

Ive chased rattles and creaks on guitars that seemed to be loudest in one spot but actually started from somewhere else. Never come across too many rattly truss rods unless they were a little loose. Chased one noise for days on a cheap starter pack guitar. Ill fitting truss rod cover :rolleyes:

One of my 535s had the truss rod completely slackened and it buzzed just a bit.  It drove me nuts because the buzz sounded like it was inside the neck (becasue it was!).  I tightened the truss rod nut just to where it started to grab and the problem was solved.

Nut?

Yep, it sounds like he's a nut alright.  ;D

Probably a Kalamazoo wood roach.  Yep, that's about all I have to add here. 

Archived