Heritage Owners Club

Why 250k tone pots?

jamison162

I'm re-wiring my H-150 and found out the tone pots were 250k, I wonder why?  I definitely putting 500's back.  Man the wiring job on this thing was a hack job.  Oh well....should hear some improvements with these RS 500k super pots, 500k tone pots, Jenesen caps (0.022/0.015) and 50's wiring.

I think I'm the only guy on the planet who doesn't rave about RS Super Pots - there was nothing super about mine.  I re-wired my Les Paul with Super Pots and the volume knobs are more like on/off swithces.  I re-wired my G&L ASAt Classic at the same time and both "Super Pots" measured under 220K ohms, that's over 10% out of spec and especially anoying when they are suposed to be specially selected to be higher than normal resistance.  And the treble retention circuit is more like an ice pick in ear circuit - it gets thin and piercing as I turn down.  Not impressed at all.  I hope you have better luck.

Thanks, I will.

I've reiwred many customer guitars and several of my own...I've been doing this before there was an "RS Kit".  But I actually do like their Super Pots, very useful.  I don't understand them not working for you, I would have questioned Roy on it.  The main reason I've been getting my pots from them recently is because they do actually have tight tolerance and they spec all their CTS pots with brass shafts.  I've broken many an aluminum shaft taking knobs on and off.  Also their strat/tele SUper Pots are 280k not 250k and they've always come in close for me.  And I much prefer the 50's scheme and refuse to use a treble bypass circuit in any of guitars.  I just cut it out of a brand new Grosh RC and the high end is much more pleasing to me.

I've never tried the RS pots, but I did install "Dr Vintage" pots with Luxe Repro Grey Tiger PIO caps in Alicia's '54 Les Paul.

They were all that and a bag of chips. Great taper with a ton of audible sweep.

They were a bit pricey, but worth it for that guitar IMHO

When the alum shaft broke on my 150 I replaced with the treble tamer RS kit. It had Seth Lovers and the 500 x 500 gave the neck pickups more highs and control while the 300 x 300 took down the semi harsh bridge so I was converted. When I got the 137,I went with all 500 x 500's with Bumble Bees after an email to Jason Lollar who recommend pots for his P90... all 500s. Big improvement. The millie (Seths) was really bright with an all maple body so the vintage treble tamer mellowed it down and brought out the wood.

All my Heritage's came with V500 and T250 with about three shades of volume and tone and the"modern" wiring where you turn down the volume one number the tone turned bassy. The only  difference of opinion I have with Guitartman would be these pots. I suspect there was something not right with the install. The people at RS were super helpfull on the phone too. BTW the pots I removed from my Millie (build date 1/20/2008 were dated from 1997. Per Rem, H uses the 500 x 250 on all their stuff so you might consider the "one size fits all" factory bulk purchase as an economic decision without the flexability for different pickups and woods. JMO   

Not sure why the'yd choose 250k pots for tone. Not sure why G-brand likes to use 300k for volume apps. either. I always like the standard CTS 500k audio taper pots. The RS Superpots are OK, but not worth the extra $$$ IMO. The cheap-o Mexican made pots in my Ultra are fairly chintzy looking! However, seeing as they work fine and I like the way the guitar sounds, I won't replace any of that stuff unless it goes bad.

Tip of the day: RS frequently has an "online" sale and many times will cut the price of their Super Pots 50%.  I usually wait to catch a sale and order several at a time to use for future customers.  I think they're $7 on sale, regular CTS are generally $5.  RS specs tight tolerances and brass shafts, well worth it IMO.  If you've ever broken off an aluminum shaft, you know what I'm talking about.

Funny you mentioned that sale, they just had one 2 weeks ago over the weekend, 20% off. I got 2 superpots @ $7.96 ea & 2 500k tone pots @ $4.76 ea. They feel much nicer than the Mexican pots that were in my 150. The neck pickup still gets a little muddy about 1/2 way on the vol. though. RS made it seem like it would retain all its clarity but thats not happening. One of the pots in the 150 was actually a GIBSON pot! lol. You never know what you'll get buying a guitar on ebay!

Tip of the day: RS frequently has an "online" sale and many times will cut the price of their Super Pots 50%.  I usually wait to catch a sale and order several at a time to use for future customers.  I think they're $7 on sale, regular CTS are generally $5.  RS specs tight tolerances and brass shafts, well worth it IMO.  If you've ever broken off an aluminum shaft, you know what I'm talking about.
Not to be argumentative, but both the brass and aluminum shafts are fairly fragile (learned that the hard way), but everyone has their preference. I will admit that the tolerances on the RS pots are very tight. Another nice place to get standard CTS pots that are measured, unlike the ones you buy off the shelf....

www.wymoreguitars.com

They are fast shippers and no minimum order is required. I believe RS has a $40 minimum order.

Not to be argumentative, but both the brass and aluminum shafts are fairly fragile (learned that the hard way), but everyone has their preference.

Maybe so, but I've yet to have any issues with brass shafts, they seem to hold up much better for me.

Archived