Heritage Owners Club

96 Eagle fingerrest project

randy2270

We <Sweet 16 and I> recently adopted <bought> an Eagle that needed some cosmetics in our opinion.

This guitar originally came with a benedetto style fingerrest, thumbwheel controls and a Kent Armstrong P90 pup. I already had a Heritage floating pickup with cover, so I bought a fingerrest, ordered the hardware and installed it. It was a bit of a Project Management nightmare but I am almost done with a little more adjustments needed including the wiring to the jack output.

I would like to add that the electronics and custom fingerrest is phenomenal but not quite what I was looking for.

Before:

post-8355-0-91313200-1374238296_thumb.jpg

After :

Apparently,

It was up for sale at some time at Elderly before I came across it on Ebay. Notice the fingerrest is gone. I am assuming that the original tailpiece broke and took the PUP/fingerrest with it. It happens.

this was the Ebay image
I actually like this tailpiece better, I had one of these before and they are pretty much trouble free, except for stringing which is always a chore on archtops I think.

I had broke the fingerrest I bought trying to install the pup, <I didn't realize that center hole is for the wire> and some of the finish flaked off, ugh, and then when I glued it back you could see some residue, so when I tried to clean that up the finish and stain came up with it. So I resolved myself to a complete stripping and stain project.

I had broke the fingerrest I bought trying to install the pup, <I didn't realize that center hole is for the wire> and some of the finish flaked off, ugh, and then when I glued it back you could see some residue, so when I tried to clean that up the finish and stain came up with it. So I resolved myself to a complete stripping and stain project.

before the break:

post-8355-0-51065200-1374240738_thumb.jpg

strip:

post-8355-0-38995500-1374240698_thumb.jpg

you can kinda see the crack

Stain project, I decided to stain it ebony in about 5 passes or so, I prototyped some black paint and lacquers to try and get it to look like an L7 style pickguard but was unhappy with it. So stain it was.

post-8355-0-65082400-1374240951_thumb.jpgpost-8355-0-78920500-1374240987_thumb.jpg

and if that wasn't enough ..

I broke the wires in the Heritage pup and as I tried to fix them it just got worse and worse. I considering putting the P90 in the cover and pack it in there. I realized that I had a Johnny Smith style Kent Armstrong pup I bought a few months back for my Epi but never got intalled. Pulled the bracket off and that fit in there pretty good.

So far not including the cost of stain, finish, prototype wood, minerals and rags, this has cost me around 120$ <and about 6 weeks of work>, including the sunken cost of the pup. Not too shabby.

Before I committed to the wiring I decided to see what the black prototype looks like. I kinda like it now. I have already ordered another one with binding that I was going to project with a piezo under the fingerrest sometime next summer. This summer is looking more promising.

96 Eagle - ASB w/ black fingerrest no pup

Archived