Heritage Owners Club

Finally found an amp better than the Fender Mustang III

Well my blues junior is on the fritz, and I am making payments towards another tube amp purchase.... Prior to this dilemma, I decided to trade in my Mustang III toward a new amp a couple months back. That amp had not let me down...

So what is better than the Mustang III amp, none other than the Fender Mustang III amp Version 2

Tried them out side by side. Never had the fizz problem folks complained about, but the presets, the cabinet, the covering, and direct stereo outs in addition to new presets etc. attracted my attention. So my old amp and $125 plus some coupons got me there (considering what we pay to modify tube amps, I thought that was reasonable as you get a new 5 year warranty too)...

The challenge for me with these modelers is getting a good, convincing Clean tube amp sound to add a little grit to is what I go after. Did a slow blues jam at the open mike last night using my H170 with HRWs. Lead pickup raised as high as it can go without my pick touching the pickup, then I lower the neck into the guitar as low as it can go for the neck pickup for a 335 type sound as this is a chambered 170, nice and light.

Had the mustang III v2 set on Brownface (tweed Deluxe) with some reverb and upped the master volume (no overdrive or distortion).... Thought it worked pretty good. Anyway, thought I would share the jam from Mr. Bigs last night in Waterford Michigan. Great Thursday night crowd (lots of crowd noise but that makes it more fun).

Thought it turned out pretty good doing a slow blues jam

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ucnmcm5ys0g0uu/2013-08-09%2000.06.36.mp4

Ah, you had me worried for a minute, Bob! Haha. I'm glad you got it, but I haven't scratched the surface on my Mustang IIII V1 yet. Great amps. At PSP, I got to play through Rob's 1967 Bassman. What a treat! I razzed him a bit later, telling him it was ALMOST as good as my Mustang! I got the "brutha, PLEEZ!" Look I was trying to get from him, Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk. Still, Tulk1 reluctantly said that Tracey, his band's front woman uses a Mustang IIII on the Deluxe Reverb setting to great effect.

You are not only playing Blues I this video, you are playing Blues DELUXE!!

Shundog, sometimes I feel we might be the lone fans of these amps. It is good to hear others are finding it to be the gem that they are.

I am usually the last to say something like this, but I think the amp would be taken more seriously if fender actually charged MORE money for it. The software is great and it is quite fun to put it side by side with their real tube counterparts. Make sure you have your PC hooked up to it so you can adjust the BIAS and the SAG in the software settings. Considering these amps go for about $275 these days and come with a 5 year warranty, it is quite amazing. The effects are great/convincing compared to other modelers. Still a student of all the capabilities these amps have.

There was a Mustang Half Stack on Craigslist this morning , I couldn't help but think it would be an awesome amp at a super bargain price .

But in the end , logic won out ... I certainly don't need any more amps (or guitars) right now and not one that large either... so I moved on.

Yooper got my beater Mustang I for $30 at PSP. Crazy good deal. My Mustang I in better shape sits within arms reach of my easy chair for noodling while watching TV. Frankly, it probably gets more use than any other amp I own.

Ah, you had me worried for a minute, Bob! Haha. I'm glad you got it, but I haven't scratched the surface on my Mustang IIII V1 yet. Great amps. At PSP, I got to play through Rob's 1967 Bassman. What a treat! I razzed him a bit later, telling him it was ALMOST as good as my Mustang! I got the "brutha, PLEEZ!" Look I was trying to get from him, Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk. Still, Tulk1 reluctantly said that Tracey, his band's front woman uses a Mustang IIII on the Deluxe Reverb setting to great effect.

You are not only playing Blues I this video, you are playing Blues DELUXE!!

Yes, she does. It's great for what she's using it for. I think that setting is pretty dandy. (didn't care for too many others). If something blows in the MESA I have a backup right there. Kinda wish she'd waited for the v2 Mustang. It has a built-in DI, post settings. How cool would that be? No more that she actually uses it. One less mic out front - and I could have my Audix i5 back!!

Well my blues junior is on the fritz, and I am making payments towards another tube amp purchase.... Prior to this dilemma, I decided to trade in my Mustang III toward a new amp a couple months back. That amp had not let me down...

So what is better than the Mustang III amp, none other than the Fender Mustang III amp Version 2

Tried them out side by side. Never had the fizz problem folks complained about, but the presets, the cabinet, the covering, and direct stereo outs in addition to new presets etc. attracted my attention. So my old amp and $125 plus some coupons got me there (considering what we pay to modify tube amps, I thought that was reasonable as you get a new 5 year warranty too)...

The challenge for me with these modelers is getting a good, convincing Clean tube amp sound to add a little grit to is what I go after. Did a slow blues jam at the open mike last night using my H170 with HRWs. Lead pickup raised as high as it can go without my pick touching the pickup, then I lower the neck into the guitar as low as it can go for the neck pickup for a 335 type sound as this is a chambered 170, nice and light.

Had the mustang III v2 set on Brownface (tweed Deluxe) with some reverb and upped the master volume (no overdrive or distortion).... Thought it worked pretty good. Anyway, thought I would share the jam from Mr. Bigs last night in Waterford Michigan. Great Thursday night crowd (lots of crowd noise but that makes it more fun).

Thought it turned out pretty good doing a slow blues jam

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ucnmcm5ys0g0uu/2013-08-09%2000.06.36.mp4

Is there another way to get to hear/see this? Everytime I click on the link, McAffee says the site is blocked, unacceptable content, bla bla bla. : (

Archived