Heritage Owners Club

Vintage goodness

slider313

Well, the owner of the Airline doesn't want to put the money into the amp to get it working. It's now my amp and sports a replacement '64 Schumacher output transformer, a bunch of new caps and a new set of EH 6973 power tubes. I may try a couple of different speakers to see what it gives me but this amp is all crunch and I think a more efficient speaker will just give me louder crunch!

002_zpsdf7ba3e3.jpg

JBL 123a hifi woofer from the 50's if you can find one. black cone black dust cap. Altec 600b. Both efficient and nice, warm, full range sounding.

The D123 is a great speaker, and I do have one, but I'm not so sure it would work in this amp. Same with the Altec. I think a G12M greenback might do the trick, but I don't have one of those either!

002_zpscaa27bcc.jpg

The Airline sold today. I had it on Craigslist for two days! The brown Vibrolux went back to the guitar store today. They are more than happy with the way it turned out.

The early 1965 Deluxe Reverb, that the shop bought at the Charlotte Guitar Show, sold on Saturday. It was in the store for less than a week!

It looks like the vintage amp market is recovering nicely.

Well it won't take but a little bit of time to roll that JBL and verify...since it is in hand...

For me those big VC's balance pretty well against the highs with the very limited sample size of only two...actually providing surprising girth. The 600b clean tones are very, very tough to beat IMHO. The soft suspension seems to help provide an openness to the sound at comfortable listening levels. YMMV I have one in a '61 Harmony H306A, and the dirt is outstanding in that vintage, small OT, from the same factory as is my '66 Lectrolab R600, similar OT, which has the black cone black cap 123 in it, slightly different JBL 123 than the one pictured, which if I'm not mistaken has a bare metal cap. Both are outstanding gig amps, lots of harmonic content with great sustain and bloom, in stereo quite cool. The Harmony has 6v6's, Lectrolab el84's, both have bias tremolo. The Harmony originated with the Jensen P12r, the Lectrolab a jensen c12r. I find the replacement speakers gave the amp more volume/dynamics as well as a midrange with character.

One man's cup of tea sho nuff be another's poison...

Funny, my Ampeg RR2 has a re-coned Jensen C12Q, which sounds great, and the D123 sound great. in a different way. in that amp. The Jensen is not very efficient, which lets me turn the amp up a bit, without being "too loud". The D123 sounds full and more balanced at all volume levels, has more punch than the Jensen, and works well also. For lower volume gigs I would like the Jensen and for gigs where I can use a bit more headroom and punch, the JBL. The RR2 is an amp that's easy to swap speakers in, so it's great to have the options!

Here's my '61 Deluxe. Kuz calls every two weeks asking to buy it!

Picture2467.jpg

More like EVERY WEEK!!!! But you keep hoarding all these wonderful vintage beauties!!!! Mike, you are a great guy, the most knowledgable amp guru I know, and have the finest collection of vintage amps of anyone I know.

Play them in good health (and save 1 or 2 of those out on the free market for me)!!!

I've had the Weber re-coned Jensen P10Q's in the amp for a very long time. I recently picked up a pair of Celestion Gold 10's. The amp is now has a full midrange "bark" to it with a much tighter bass and smoother highs. The notes seem to pop out and the amps response is very percussive.

002_zpsf8682f48.jpg

Archived